Re: variable speed knob removal

  • beohexeares
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2012
      I'm on ebay and craigslist to much looking for parts haha Thanks for the heads up!

    • steverwallin@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 13, 2012
        On my unit, the knob is an aluminum casting. The selector shaft is steel. The knob is spring-loaded on the shaft with a conical coil spring and a free-floating washer. The knob pops off when the 5/64ths set screw is released.

        There is a circumferential groove machined into the end of the shaft to receive the set screw. On my machine, it appears that the set screw was twisted off inside the detent inside the groove. The broken-off piece of the set screw is still lodged in the detent and the moveable part of the set screw now grounds against the broken-off part to allow actuation of the speed selector. (I'll get this fixed -- someday.)

        It could be that your set screw twisted off inside the knob threads. As a result, the working part of the set screw may still be engaged.

        Steve Wallin

        In a message dated 1/11/2012 9:48:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, RedfieldRH@... writes:

        Sorry never tried to do this. If still unsuccessful by this weekend I could go down to the shop and see what I could find out. There has to be a straight forward way

        Rick