I just bought a sawsmith need blade guard

  • gtgeorgesell
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2011
      I just bought a sawsmith need blade guard, I have not used it yet because it came without a blade. I had some 10 inch blades off my table saw with 5/8 hole and the shopsmith has a 5/8 arbor so I just loosened the nut and put the blade on it fit the arbor fine. I started the motor and when it got wound up the blade came sailing off and broke the blade guard. The blade was tight can anyone guess what happened? Now I have no blade guard and I am afraid to try to put the blade on and start it!!!!
      Any and all comments welcome
      Thanks
      GTGeorge
    • Van Alston
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2011
        Good lord. I have no idea what could have happened if the blade was tight, as you say. Glad you are okay.

      • grandpadon47@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2011
          First thing I wonder is was the 2 washers on each side of the blade, and was the nut used the original nut not a made to fit nut.

          On ebay under Sawsmith was a saw guard, and other stuff. Have not looked lately so not sure if it is still there. grandpadon in Missouri

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2011
            I do not know if the nut is the original I have never seen one of these saws before, I have used lots of radial arm saws in the past and I assumed that all was well and I just needed to put a blade on a tighten the nut and saw away. The blade came off before I even got a piece of scrap wood to try. The blade guard is broken now and I will not try again without one. I do know there were NO washers.
            puzzled
            GTGeorge

          • RedfieldRH@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2011
              Thank goodness you were not hurt!

              Which side of the saw was the blade on? Presumably the left but could be either. The left side spindle has a reverse thread. You should be able to tell if the nut fits correctly without excessive play and is an original as it will be stamped "Left"  Any damage to the threads on the nut or spindle should warrant caution. The two thick washers are very important to distribute the clamping force as well as dampen vibration. The left hand thread was done as this tends to tighten the nut during normal rotation. rather than loosen it. Cars used to do this on the left side. Many a wheel stud has been sheared off learning this the hard way!

              You may or may not know that my son Cory has been manufacturing left hand threaded nuts in our home machine shop. Feel free to view our photo album as you can see closeup pics of what the nut should look like. He can provide a new replacement if there is any doubt.

              Rick

              I do not know if the nut is the original I have never seen one of these saws before, I have used lots of radial arm saws in the past and I assumed that all was well and I just needed to put a blade on a tighten the nut and saw away. The blade came off before I even got a piece of scrap wood to try. The blade guard is broken now and I will not try again without one. I do know there were NO washers.
              puzzled
              GTGeorge

              --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, grandpadon47@... wrote:

              > First thing I wonder is was the 2 washers on each side of the blade, and was the nut used the original nut not a made to fit nut.
              >
              > On ebay under Sawsmith was a saw guard, and other stuff. Have not looked lately so not sure if it is still there. grandpadon in Missouri

            • GTGeorge GTGeorge
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2011
                Thanks Rick
                I will let you know as I said There were no washers there are 2 big nuts on the arbor both flat on both sides. left hand threads  one screws on the arbor then the blade then the other nut and the blade was on the left side where the blade guard was like my craftsman saw, can I run a 10 inch blade on this saw? Because thats what I was trying when this happened, the blade might have hit the guard but I did spin it by hand several times before I fired it up with no interferance. To be truthfull I am now gun shy of this saw.
                Thanks
                George Sellers

                To: sawsmith@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 3, 2011
                  George: in message 927 was a discussion about the washers that go on each side of the saw blade. Shopsmith sells a 5/8 blade adapter with the same type of washers. If the nut is original it should say left for the left side (left handed thread) or right for the right side ( right handed thread)   grandpadon in Missouri

                  To: sawsmith@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 3, 2011
                    You can definitely run 10" blades. The one thing I am confused on from your description is if you are using two nuts on the left side (unlikely as you would have to have two left-hand nuts). The key is all saws, whether table, chop or radial should have large blade washers on either side. These are common items available anywhere woodworking tools are sold.

                    Here is one link that is somewhat helpful:

                    http://www.ehow.com/how_5804954_install-washers-circular-saw-blade.html

                    The washers are typically dome shaped. This provides a broad clamping area and some compression of the washer. Here is an example from a different saw on ebay

                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-Delta-Table-Saw-5-8-Arbor-nut-heavy-washer-/120818311056?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c21551f90

                    Here is a great YouTube video for a table saw but with a great view of the washer (someday I will have to post videos on the SawSmith!!)

                    http://youtu.be/EWoc7aSBpic

                    You shouldn't have to fear the saw at all. With the proper washers, a good nut tightened down well, you should be enjoying this classic saw!

                    Best of Luck,

                    Rick

                    To: sawsmith@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 3, 2011
                      Rick, maybe my description leaves room for improvement. Lets start with the motor and just its arbor, the saw arbor is on the left and is LH threaded and has a flat area, the one on the right is capped off. So on the left first on the arbor there is a large left hand nut with a set screw that contacts the flat area on the arbor there are no markings on the nut. There were no washers or blade on the saw when I bought it so I just put on a 10 inch blade that I had then I put on the outside left hand thread nut {it also has no markings} and put the blade guard back on hit the start switch and thats when the saw flew apart and now from what I can figure out I have to think it was a two prong problem the lack of washers and the apparent hitting of the blade guard leads me believe that maybe I did not tighten the guard properly and maybe the blade hit the guard and the result was the nut without the washers backed off. {But what came first the chicken or the egg} Well surprising enough I have found another blade guard for the saw and another nut set and washers I can pickup locally. so I will get it back together and give it another try. I do feel kind of dumb I have several woodworking machines to name a few - 10 inch compound miter saw, a old 10 inch Delta uni saw, Old 12 inch Jet contractors table saw, a 10 inch Craftsman radial arm saw, a half of a dozen circular saws, various routers, a old Delta 61/8 jointer , old Delta 14 band saw, old delta 24 inch jig saw, old Delta 12 inch planer/molder, Yuba sawsmith, and many more. I love the older woodworking tools. I thought I was very skillful at changing and installing blades, but I truthfully never considered the washers missing as the problem even though I would never run the other saws without them.  I will keep you posted it may be a couple of weeks. Thanks for all your help
                      George Sellers

                      To: sawsmith@yahoogroups.com

                      To: sawsmith@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 3, 2011
                        I think I may have the solution:

                         The original saw used blades with a larger than standard hole size of 1-1/4" (I think related to the ShopSmith system). To accommodate the blades a special adapter was first fitted to the arbor, which was held on by a set screw. That is what the flat in the arbor shaft is for.

                        The standard thing to do is to convert to "normal" 5/8" blades. For this you do need the Left Hand nut we make (if you don't have it) that DIRECTLY threads onto the threaded arbor.

                        See this very helpful link to see if this is the situation:

                        http://www.instructables.com/id/Sawsmith-Radial-Arm-Saw-Enlarge-Arbor-Hole-on-a/

                        BTW, the nut project was begun as a father-son project to teach my son machine shop skills and create a "business product" environment. We really don't make anything on them when you factor in time and materials for small custom work, but it has been a great experience for us!

                        He takes pride in being the only manufacturer of SawSmith Left Hand Arbor Nuts in the world (or so we think!).

                        To: sawsmith@yahoogroups.com

                        To: sawsmith@yahoogroups.com

                        I do not know if the nut is the original I have never seen one of these saws before, I have used lots of radial arm saws in the past and I assumed that all was well and I just needed to put a blade on a tighten the nut and saw away. The blade came off before I even got a piece of scrap wood to try. The blade guard is broken now and I will not try again without one. I do know there were NO washers.
                        puzzled
                        GTGeorge

                        --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, grandpadon47@... wrote:

                        > First thing I wonder is was the 2 washers on each side of the blade, and was the nut used the original nut not a made to fit nut.
                        >
                        > On ebay under Sawsmith was a saw guard, and other stuff. Have not looked lately so not sure if it is still there. grandpadon in Missouri

                      • DWW
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 3, 2011
                          My blades are held on with a set screw only.  So then I guess there are different setups.  It has always made me nervous but has always held.

                          Don

                          To: sawsmith@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 3, 2011
                            I should have read a little further in the replies.  I have the original setup.  I didn't realize it could use standard blades by having the nut/washer setup.  The way it is it interchanges with my Shopsmith.  Can the larger hole blades still be purchased?

                            Don

                            To: sawsmith@yahoogroups.com

                            I do not know if the nut is the original I have never seen one of these saws before, I have used lots of radial arm saws in the past and I assumed that all was well and I just needed to put a blade on a tighten the nut and saw away. The blade came off before I even got a piece of scrap wood to try. The blade guard is broken now and I will not try again without one. I do know there were NO washers.
                            puzzled
                            GTGeorge

                            --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, grandpadon47@... wrote:

                            > First thing I wonder is was the 2 washers on each side of the blade, and was the nut used the original nut not a made to fit nut.
                            >
                            > On ebay under Sawsmith was a saw guard, and other stuff. Have not looked lately so not sure if it is still there. grandpadon in Missouri

                          • Redfieldrh
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 3, 2011
                              I would recommend always converting to the new standard system as you can use all modern tooling and blades, from the new thin technology carbide to dado and other blades. Freud makes such an amazing blades. One nut and two dished washers an you can use any blade safely. I think they even make special blades for RAS that don't climb as easily.

                              Sent from Samsung Conquer™ 4G

                              To: sawsmith@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 4, 2011
                                yes shopsmith still sells the saw blades with 1-1/4 center holes.

                                grandpadon in Missouri

                                To: sawsmith@yahoogroups.com