Sawsmith Left-Hand Nuts

  • cory.redfield
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2011
      Hello everyone, this is my first time logging into the group. I would like to introduce myself, my name is Cory Redfield, and you have most likely heard from my father about these left-hand nuts. His plethora of knowledge and both wood- and metalworking abilities fascinate myself and anyone else who enters our basement, and both he and I saw this as an opportunity for me to learn some real world skills. I have always wanted a good chance to absorb some of his knowledge, yet school, extracurriculars, and life in general always seem to get in the way.

      We have indeed made steady progress, although at no quick rate. His free time is minimal, and I am swamped at college with classes like Differential Equations and Analytical Mechanics. I would like to update everyone on our progress, as I have had quite outstanding results in the shop so far. My father and I have worked through all of the machining steps together, and I am now at a comfort level to do MOST of the lathe operations without my dad even being present. The internal threading is a hairy operation, in addition to problems as simple as finding a boring bar/thread cutter that will fit in such a small hole!

      The project's overall status is as follows: the first six nuts have been parted off, and four are still rough on one end. Two nuts are completely finished, minus the "left" and initialing stamps. We are making a jig fixture to ensure the stamping is aligned nicely. The finished nuts look great so far, and spin freely onto the left-hand post on our Sawsmith! The operations required to complete even one nut, from start to finish, are quite time consuming. In addition, our current methods can only produce a "batch" of about six nuts at a time, each requiring parting and finishing procedures.

      We will continue to churn out nuts as rapidly as our schedules allow, and well keep you updated. We are also attempting to sort through the emails to get a feel for how many to make total thus far, and figuring out a good method for shipping and whatnot. Thank you all for your support and patience, and hopefully, soon, we can all go nuts!