Re: [sawsmith] Re: Sawsmith article review

  • RedfieldRH@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 18, 2011
      Robert,

      Good points as I would never want to violate copyright laws. My impression was that there was always an exception for copying for "archival" or "backup" purposes on a limited personal level but I have never verified this.

      Interestingly, after posting this message I located the following Sawsmith blog site.

      http://sawsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/

      This site is a link from the main page of the following site:

      http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/2007/05/sawsmith-radial-arm-saw.html

      This and my other info is most likely  common knowledge to the veterans in the group, so I apologize in advance if I am remiss in not reviewing all the files on our site. In this blog site is a link to the article I referenced. When the images are clicked on they enlarge, and can be printed via any browser print feature. How they address the copyright issue is not apparent (don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger!). The back story on Magna and Yuba further down the blog site is really something. It portrays a classic case of business mismanagement and greed driving a great company into the ground.

      My Sheldon lathe is a similar example of a really great tool that has a hard-core following and did well, but was lesser known than the big brand names. The Yahoo Sheldon Lathe site is fortunate to have one of the chief engineers from Sheldon (John Knox) around to assist members with amazing insider advice and information no one else would know. He brought all the company records home when it was sold off and knows production dates, changes, fixes, etc. My lathe was purchased in Chicago from the Sheldon factory auction during the Great Rust Belt Sell-off in the '80s. Now we have Harbor Freight to fill the void!

      If those individuals that expressed interest earlier are still interested in nuts it would be helpful to touch base again. I will turn these requests over to the new proprietor of the machine shop! We have 3 feet of stock purchased so we should be good for some time! Again, we can make them fatter if desired. Or customize them with decorative groving, knurling, gold inlay, etc. etc.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 19, 2011
        Rick,

        I'm still interested in the arbor nuts. Looks like your son is doing a heck of a job judging from the photos you've posted. Let us know how you intend to go about this. I want mine to match the originals as closely as possible.

        Do you have a paypal account or will you accept money orders?

        -David

      • RedfieldRH@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 23, 2011
          David,

          We apologize for the delay in replying. Cory's girlfriend, who had meningitis as a child, developed rather severe symptoms this weekend and they had to make an unplanned 3 am hospital ER visit. Most likely this was due to a flu virus causing a flare up of old meningeal symptoms (severe headache, fever, stiff neck, etc.). Fortunately, all tests including a spinal tap are negative and she is home resting. As you can imagine, our weekend plans to finish a run of nuts were completely sidelined.

          Cory will be happy to make an exact replica of the original for you, including the word "Left" stamped into the steel! I am set up to pay via PayPal but have not received payments that way. A money order will be fine.

          We settled on a price of $20 each. We think this is reasonable after some research and discussion with the group. I noted that a previous thread in the group referenced a machinist quoting $25 apiece. Another example of a similar item is a custom made Sheldon lathe cross feed nut (reverse Acme thread) regularly available on Ebay for $40.

          Thanks for your interest, as well as anyone else, and next weekend we should have the first batch ready to go. Between work and school we mostly can only get to this on weekends. After this batch I will turn this project over to him, and we will supply these ongoing as needed.

          Once you get yours, please feel free to comment on your impressions of the finished work to the group. Everyone's complete satisfaction with the product is our goal.

          Thanks again all for the support and patience with this project. It means so much to me to see him take in interest in the shop and gain knowledge and skills. Someday he may be teaching me techniques!

          Rick and Cory

          I'm still interested in the arbor nuts. Looks like your son is doing a heck of a job judging from the photos you've posted. Let us know how you intend to go about this. I want mine to match the originals as closely as possible.

          Do you have a paypal account or will you accept money orders?

          -David

          --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, RedfieldRH@... wrote:

          > If those individuals that expressed interest earlier are still interested in nuts it would be helpful to touch base again. I will turn these requests over to the new proprietor of the machine shop! We have 3 feet of stock purchased so we should be good for some time! Again, we can make them fatter if desired. Or customize them with decorative groving, knurling, gold inlay, etc. etc.
          >
          > Rick

        • William Hayes
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 23, 2011

            Rick this is a little late but still interested in a couple of nut still also.

            Thanks

            Bill Hayes

            Broken Arrow OK.

            MKV 510,MKV 520, MKVll 5 ER's DC, 6"belt sander, Jigsaw, scroll saw, joiner, bandsaw, Strip Sander, sawtrain for the 520 ER, Jig Saw,

            I'm still interested in the arbor nuts. Looks like your son is doing a heck of a job judging from the photos you've posted. Let us know how you intend to go about this. I want mine to match the originals as closely as possible.

            Do you have a paypal account or will you accept money orders?

            -David

            --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, RedfieldRH@... wrote:

            > If those individuals that expressed interest earlier are still interested
            in nuts it would be helpful to touch base again. I will turn these requests over to the new proprietor of the machine shop! We have 3 feet of stock purchased so we should be good for some time! Again, we can make them fatter if desired. Or customize them with decorative groving, knurling, gold inlay, etc. etc.

            > Rick

          • William Hayes
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 23, 2011

              Rick, can you let me know your email so I can send you payment by paypal. Not sure if through this group I would have the right email

              Thanks

              wlhayes@...

              Bill Hayes

              Broken Arrow OK.

              MKV 510,MKV 520, MKVll 5 ER's DC, 6"belt sander, Jigsaw, scroll saw, joiner, bandsaw, Strip Sander, sawtrain for the 520 ER, Jig Saw,

              I'm still interested in the arbor nuts. Looks like your son is doing a heck of a job judging from the photos you've posted. Let us know how you intend to go about this. I want mine to match the originals as closely as possible.

              Do you have a paypal account or will you accept money orders?

              -David

              --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, RedfieldRH@... wrote:

              > If those individuals that expressed interest earlier are still interested
              in nuts it would be helpful to touch base again. I will turn these requests over to the new proprietor of the machine shop! We have 3 feet of stock purchased so we should be good for some time! Again, we can make them fatter if desired. Or customize them with decorative groving, knurling, gold inlay, etc. etc.

              > Rick

            • dpyhgp
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 23, 2011
                Rick and Cory,

                When I was 6, I lost most of my hearing to meningitis, and I was lucky that's all that happened at the time since I'm allergic to penicillin. I'm also a cancer survivor, going on 5 years now, so I understand fully.

                There is no rush for me. The sawsmith and assorted shopsmiths in my garage are strictly a hobby. You guys can let us know when you're all set up.

                I understand that sending PayPal payments isn't that difficult, but I like you, haven't received any money that way either. You might get more business using PayPal, and I'll be the guinea pig to try and send you a payment that way if you want.

                Whatever works for you. $20 is very reasonable in my opinion considering the amount of time you're investing in this. I'd add shipping on top of that too.

                Regards,

              • grandpadon47@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 23, 2011
                  To my understanding the person who get the Paypal payment has to pay part of it to get it. So instead of 20.00 They may end up with say 15.00 not sure on the amount. grandpadon in Missouri

                • RedfieldRH@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 24, 2011
                    You raise a good point and thanks for the consideration.

                    At this juncture, Cory's margins (part of our "business discussion") will be pretty thin. We understand that he is still in the learning curve, and his efficiency will improve with time and increased skill (how cool is that?). Of course we don't anticipate an especially huge market for this rather unique item. In other words, we don't anticipate being wealthy moguls of a left-hand sawsmith nut empire! Even so, it is very gratifying to think of classic Sawsmiths humming away that might otherwise be dormant.

                    As such, it would make more sense to use money orders. Besides, that way he sees tangible results in his own hand that he can take tot he bank. In fact, they should be made out to him.

                    Are there any security issues with posting our personal info in group emails (site policies, etc.)? We don't mind but felt it would be good to ask. If not I will post his contact info.

                    Rick

                  • RedfieldRH@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 24, 2011
                      Thank you David for sharing your experiences. As we know, ultimately good health is everything. Not even a completely outfitted dream shop can shield us from all the challenges of life!

                      Next weekend we should have at least four of these guys finished. Then we saw off another four inch chunk of hex stock and start over. This next run will be his baby all the way. I will stand back as a proud dad and mentor.

                      I guess he has come a long way from whittling Pinewood Derby cars! They do grow up way too fast...

                      Rick

                    • RedfieldRH@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 24, 2011

                        No such thing as too late here at Sawsmith Restoration Industries. I will forward this to the production department master machinist.

                        I'm still interested in the arbor nuts. Looks like your son is doing a heck of a job judging from the photos you've posted. Let us know how you intend to go about this. I want mine to match the originals as closely as possible.

                        Do you have a paypal account or will you accept money orders?

                        -David

                        --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, RedfieldRH@... wrote:

                        > If those individuals that expressed interest earlier are still interested
                        in nuts it would be helpful to touch base again. I will turn these requests over to the new proprietor of the machine shop! We have 3 feet of stock purchased so we should be good for some time! Again, we can make them fatter if desired. Or customize them with decorative groving, knurling, gold inlay, etc. etc.

                        > Rick

                      • Daniel
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 25, 2011
                          Something to think about here is that it is very easy to set up a Paypal account. Your transactions will be much more secure, no issue of lost in the mail, etc. Very much faster and did I mention secure. Most people would rather pay the 1.5% that Paypal charges rather than drive around and get a money order. If you think about it, if kids can make good copies of dollar bills on a printer, why would you trust a money order. It only takes a day or so for you to transfer your paypal account balance into you bank account and you can buy most anything off the internet with paypal.

                        • RedfieldRH@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 25, 2011
                            Good points and we will check into this further!

                          • cslattery1883@sbcglobal.net
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 30, 2011
                              I am also still interested in the nuts, I will take 1 left hand nut now. Rick I sent you an email through this website, I hope you get it.

                              Chris

                            • RedfieldRH@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 30, 2011
                                Got it! We'll get right on it. I will investigate PayPal and we are happy to take checks, MO, etc. Will update everyone.

                                To the shop!

                                I am also still interested in the nuts, I will take 1 left hand nut now. Rick I sent you an email through this website, I hope you get it.

                                Chris

                                --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, RedfieldRH@... wrote:

                                > No such thing as too late here at Sawsmith Restoration Industries. I will forward this to the production department master machinist.

                              • Frank Guros
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 31, 2011
                                  Look up previous letters in the group I listed a machinist who made mine.

                                  rank