Re: SawSmith Nut Project

  • cslattery1883@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2011
      That spindle looks pretty good. Which way does your lathe thread? I have a piece of garbage Enco lathe that only threads from right to left, so if you are not fast enough it will run into the chuck.

      Chris

    • RedfieldRH@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 3, 2011
        Chris, we are making steady progress. You should see the look on Cory's face at each step of the way! He's hooked. We just finished grinding a custom internal threading tool from a 3/16 drill bit which will be cut to length and fit into the smallest boring bar I have to be able to pass inside the 5/8 bore we drilled. This nut is a very odd size at 21/32 ID which is probably one of the reasons they are hard to come by. We don't have a lot of room for the boring bar and bit.  I will try to upload more pictures tomorrow.

        Regarding your lathe, you should be able to reverse the carriage direction of feed via a shifter on the gear train on the back of the headstock. This reverses the direction of the lead screw while keeping the spindle (chuck) rotation the same. Do you have a quick change box or do you have to manually change gears for different thread pitches? Send your model number and I can Google it to see if I can help with more features.

        If you thread from left to right, you produce a left hand thread, which is how we are doing this! So that is not the answer for you. Normal feed for basic turning and threading should usually be from right to left, although many cuts are done towards the tailstock to complete work such as forming shoulders, etc.

        In fact, many times one has to thread up to a shoulder and stop quickly to not crash into the metal! This is common, so the feed direction won't help you. This is part of the excitement of threading! One has to very quickly disengage the half nuts at the exact time. We always thread in back gear mode so the stock rotation is slow enough to make this humanly possible. Make sure you have back gears on your lathe, or at least use the slowest possible spindle speed. Some old timers would turn the threading bit upside down and could then thread right hand threads from left to right by running the spindle in reverse! Unfortunately, on my lathe this would unscrew the chuck!

        For the final phase, we will be cutting the internal left hand threads feeding blind from deep inside the chuck. This is where it all comes together for Cory as you have to rely on your training and know-how, and depend on the thread dial to pick up the thread blind on each pass. Should be fun!

        Rick

        That spindle looks pretty good. Which way does your lathe thread? I have a piece of garbage Enco lathe that only threads from right to left, so if you are not fast enough it will run into the chuck.

        Chris

        --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, "rick.redfield" <RedfieldRH@...> wrote:

        > To All:
        >
        > Nothing like a little spare time together. We spent two great days together in the Man Cave. Cory used his new machinist tools just delivered by Santa to good effect and we had some great days together. It is amazing to sit back and watch someone else going to town on the lathe!
        >
        > The Go-NoGo gauge was a great success. It was something to spin the original left hand nut onto the new threads.
        >
        > Now to start hacking off 4 inch chunks of hexagonal bar stock and try backwards internal threading. We will be picking up the thread on each cut blind from inside the chuck. The skills will be put to the test!
        >
        > Stay tuned. Hope everyone had a great Christmas, and managed to make great sawdust. A safe and happy New Year to everyone. Soon the day of the missing nut case will be solved.

      • Van Alston
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 3, 2011
          Rick, it sounds like you guys are having a blast. I've got a five
          year old and we don't quite delve into such big projects. Mostly
          birdhouses, Christmas ornaments and the like. But I know the fun of
          working together with the little guy and I sure hope he has that same
          enthusiasm when he gets to be your son's age.

          Van
        • RedfieldRH@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 4, 2011
            There is no more fun than working together in the shop! We started at that age as well, and Cory had his own workbench and tools. All through Cub Scouts Mr R's shop was the place to be, especially around Pinewood Derby time! My childhood memories are full of projects with my dad, including making telescopes, radios, model rockets, go-carts and woodworking of all kinds. When dad is over to see us work in my shop I always chide him by saying "look what you started!"

            More pics of Cory grinding a drill bit into our internal threading tool. Hope I am not boring people.

            Rick

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 8, 2011
              Thnks for the lathe information. It is an Enco 110-0818, 8"x18" lathe.
              It has a quick change gear box, there is a lever out front for the different thread pitches/screw feed speed. There is no lever to reverse the carriage direction. The lathe does have reverse the chuck will turn in reverse, to change chuck speeds I have to change the belt locations, but the screw feed is always right to left.

              I am not a master machinist, so I appreciate you guys doing this. I have only used the lathe for drilling a hole in the end of a piece of material or just cleaning up something. I do not have a lot of tooling for this, just a drill chuck and a couple of cutting tools.

              Thanks

              Chris