Sawsmith for sale on ebay this week

  • Jacob
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2004
      Hi all - I just saw a Sawsmith radial arm saw for sale on ebay. It is
      item # 3839929010 and is located in NY. No base cabinet. It looks in
      very good condition and the seller has a ton of photos of it, from
      all angles. No red knobs on the top but the red knob is still there
      for the crank. He has a reserve on it, I wonder what that amount is.
      Three bids on it so far. Anyone live in NY?

      Jacob
    • Carl Finch
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18, 2004
        At 10:51 AM 9/18/2004 +0000, Jacob wrote:
        >Hi all - I just saw a Sawsmith radial arm saw for sale on ebay. It is
        >item # 3839929010 and is located in NY. No base cabinet. It looks in
        >very good condition and the seller has a ton of photos of it, from
        >all angles. No red knobs on the top but the red knob is still there
        >for the crank. He has a reserve on it, I wonder what that amount is.
        >Three bids on it so far. Anyone live in NY?

        Question: My Sawsmith (I bought it in 1964) is the same color scheme as
        this one, but on mine the labels (and documents) all say "Magna-American,"
        not "Yuba." I'm just a bit curious about what the story might be on this
        change!

        By the way, I notice that this eBay sample is missing the rubber safety cap
        on the right-hand spindle.

        Historical Note: Those darn red knobs are/were sure a pain. I had to get
        replacements almost immediately after acquiring my saw. I never did
        replace the crank assembly they sent--just continued to use the
        quick-and-dirty broom handle piece I pop-riveted to the original crank!

        Man, it's quiet in here! Wonder if Mike Smith ever got his Dad's machine
        going!

        --Carl
        in Medford, Oregon
      • jacobvb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2004
          In a message dated 9/18/2004 2:10:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          carlfinch@... writes:
          Question: My Sawsmith (I bought it in 1964) is the same color scheme as
          this one, but on mine the labels (and documents) all say "Magna-American,"
          not "Yuba." I'm just a bit curious about what the story might be on this
          change!
          The way I understand it, Magna was the original company which made the
          Shopsmith products, including the Sawsmith. Then, employees bought the company and
          renamed it Yuba, but still made and supported the same products.

        • Carl Finch
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 19, 2004
            At 09:02 PM 9/18/2004 -0400, jacobvb@... wrote:

            >carlfinch@... writes:
            > >Question: My Sawsmith (I bought it in 1964) is the same color scheme as
            > >this one, but on mine the labels (and documents) all say "Magna-American,"
            > >not "Yuba." I'm just a bit curious about what the story might be on this
            > >change!

            >The way I understand it, Magna was the original company which made the
            >Shopsmith products, including the Sawsmith. Then, employees bought the
            >company and
            >renamed it Yuba, but still made and supported the same products.

            Thanks for that bit of historical insight, Jacob!

            As my problem with my Sawsmith has caused me to discover this List and
            start lurking in the "rec.woodworking" news group, I see some of the
            problems owners of lesser radial arm saws have with their machines. What a
            shame that Sawsmith is no more.

            Sad--another example of "the good die young!"

            One of these days, when my workshop is completed, I'm gonna repair the
            damage the 1989 Loma Prieta quake did to my Sawsmith. Unrestrained in my
            garage, it did a half gainer onto the hood of my Toyota (leaving several
            curious dings there) and crunching one corner of its roll-around stand so
            that I must shim that corner every time I raise the wheels. The saw itself
            was undamaged though.

            --Carl
            in Medford, Oregon