Re: [sawsmith] Re: New Sawsmith Owner

  • Matt Tritt
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 16, 2010
      I've had this happen several times as well. One was a vintage RV I was just in the process of getting plane tickets to go and get in Montana. The seller told me it was "mine", but I called him to arrange to get to his place and he said " Oh yeah; I guess I should have told you that I sold it to someone else." "Guess"? Some people really need to learn what is taught in ethics 101.

      Matt

      Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 7:47 PM
      Subject: Re: [sawsmith] Re: New Sawsmith Owner

      I recently sold a bicyle on Craigslist, I did have several "irons in the fire" but once sold I sent out emails to all responders letting them know the bicycle was sold.

      If this guy told you the saw was yours, he is the pits for not honoring.

      Good luck on your next purchase.

      Brian
      Los Angeles

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
        I too have been burned by a few Craigslist sellers.  I have been involved in sales for my entire adult life and was taught early on about the value of ethics when dealing with people.  The problem is that most of these c-list sellers have no experience in selling, or conducting themselves in a proffessional manner.  When considering a purchase through this venue it must be understood that it is first Come first served.  That being said,  I'm sure that most of us have had some fine experiences using the list.  I know I have.
        Ed kauf
        I've had this happen several times as well. One was a vintage RV I was just in the process of getting plane tickets to go and get in Montana. The seller told me it was "mine", but I called him to arrange to get to his place and he said " Oh yeah; I guess I should have told you that I sold it to someone else." "Guess"? Some people really need to learn what is taught in ethics 101.

        Matt

        Well, looks like I was premature. The saw was in Houston, about 6 hours away from me in central Louisiana. But I have friends in Houston who had agreed to pick it up for me until I could transport it from there to here. My friend works odd shifts and it would be Monday evening before he could get it. I called the seller on Saturday and confirmed everything and he said Monday evening was fine for the pickup.

        My friend tried to call him today to get directions but couldn't get an answer. I just called him and he sold the saw to someone else yesterday. The day after confirming everything with me for it to be picked up this evening.

        I'm pretty bummed and annoyed, but there's not really much I can do about it. The hunt is still on, I guess.

        --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, "heathicus.geo" <heathicus.geo@...> wrote:

        > I've been a Shopsmith owner for a couple years (two 10ERs and a Mark 5), and I've wanted to add the RAS for about half that time. This message may be very premature, but it looks like the stars have aligned and I will have a Sawsmith soon. It's about 6 hours away, but the price was right ($50, gold colored, fully functional, including disk sander, Jacob's chuck, and dado blade) and pickup/delivery was surprisingly easy to work out.
        >
        > I've looked through the photos and files and browsed a few messages here in the group. But is there anything that might not jump out at me that I should be aware of? Anything I need to pay special attention to? This will also be my first RAS, so any info would be appreciated.
        >
        > I'll have plenty of time to gather any missing/broken parts and do any repair/restoration. I'm moving at the end of this month and the rest of my shop will be packed up in storage until at least early next year. But I just couldn't pass this one up.

      • Van Alston
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
          I've found that if I need to go out of town to buy something, to ask
          the man to put his wife on the phone. I explain to her that I am
          coming to from out of town to get it. Since doing this, I have been
          100% happy with my transactions. Of course, I've still lost some
          stuff in town by not getting there first.