1661Re: Messed up my saw

  • rberschau
    Oct 11, 2012
      Thanks everyone, I will see if the relay is the issue this weekend when I have some time to do it safely...I will let you know the outcome. Worse case, I will take the motor to an electrical motor repair shop and see what they have to say (if I can't get it going myself).

      --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, Carl Finch <barkingcoyote@...> wrote:

      > At 03:33 PM 10/9/2012, Robert Berschauer wrote:
      > >It did come from the motor...I popped the cap on the motor and see
      > >there is a relay and a motor starting capacitor in there...I am
      > >wondering if the relay made the sound...I don't see a way to open
      > >the relay to examine it...do they make replacements still that will
      > >work with that motor?
      >
      > Here's an excerpt from a post of mine, addressing the repair of the
      > relay (since there seemed to be nothing available as a replacement back then):
      >
      > At 12:16 PM 7/28/2004 -0700, I wrote:
      >
      > Didn't have much luck searching for that 40 year old relay.
      >
      > Then I noticed the slotted screw in the top of the case.
      >
      > I'd been concentrating so much on the bottom of the case, where the all the
      > wire connectors are, that I'd never noticed that the darn thing could be
      > opened (and anyway, so much stuff is sealed for life nowadays).
      >
      > Located my 'point' file (remember when cars had points?) and cleaned the
      > contacts.
      >
      > But I discovered that the relay contacts are normally *closed*. They open
      > almost immediately when the saw is turned on. So apparently the capacitive
      > windings are active only for a fraction of a second, just enough to get the
      > armature turning. (If anyone can set me a bit straighter on this, I'd be
      > pleased to listen!)
      >
      > Anyway, got my Sawsmith back!
      >
      > ===============
      >
      > --Carl
      > in Medford, Oregon
      >

      > > I was also wondering if there was some king of fusable link
      > > in-line in the motor that would blow. I am too new with this saw
      > > to understand much about it.
      > >
      > >On Oct 07, 2012, at 02:55 PM, RedfieldRH@... wrote:
      > >

      > >>If your breaker did not trip, then the motor probably is not
      > >>shorted out (which would draw heavy current). Is the click
      > >>definitely in the motor? I know the original push button switches
      > >>can fail. Mine did this, where I had to stab the on button to get
      > >>the motor to stay on.
      > >>
      > >>I found that an easy replacement was to mount a low profile plastic
      > >>electrical box on the top arm over the push button switch and use a
      > >>paddle switch. I really like this arrangement and there are other
      > >>options mentioned in previous listings.
      > >>
      > >>If you are comfortable with electricity and can get to the motor
      > >>leads, you could rig up a safe, temporary power source to the motor
      > >>(cord with wire nuts, etc.) to test the motor directly. Only do
      > >>this if you are completely comfortable working with electricity.
      > >>
      > >>I don't believe there is a safety thermoswitch in these old motors
      > >>although I am not positive. Many more modern motors have a button
      > >>that pops out if they overheat.
      > >>
      > >>Hope this helps,
      > >>
      > >>Rick

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic