      From: DWW <d0nwhit@...>
      Subject: Re: [sawsmith] Re: Looking for a Motor
      To: sawsmith@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, November 9, 2011, 10:27 PM

      Early summer my sawsmith motor quit. Lots of good info in this forum helped me revive it.  Upon examination I found the insulation on the wires from the relay box into the motor had become brittle and breaking off.  I took the motor to a local motor repair shop.  They charged me around $90 to put heatshrink on the wires that they said were good.  They also replace the bearings they said were bad.  When I reinstalled the motor it still didn't work. I determined the coiled  arm wire was bad.  I replaced it with the one recommended in this forum from Grainger. I plugged the saw in and it worked, whoppie!  But later when I moved the saw into the place where I normally use it the circuit breaker tripped.  I usually have it on a 10' 14 gauge extension cord plugged into a 20 amp circuit.  I thought oh no, here we go again.  I put it aside.  After reading this forum I later tried without the extension cord, tripped again.  I then put the extension cord into another socket, different breaker and bingo, it works.  So after the problem and repair I can no longer use it from the circuit I have used for years.  At least I can use it but it supports someone's post that a breaker can be bad, or weak anyway.

      Don Whitlow

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic