Beltaine (May Day) Blessings!

  • Ellen Hopman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 7:31 AM

      BELTAINE BLESSINGS ALL!
      (Of course, its not officially Beltaine until the Hawthorns bloom, because that’s when you know its warm enough to send the cows back up to the hills...)

      Hawthorn, May Tree, Whitethorn
      Parts used: flowers, leaves, and fruits
      Gaelic: sgiach, sgitheach
      Latin: Crataegus monogyna, Crataegus oxyacantha
      Steep the flower buds and young leaves to make a tea for sore throats. Tincture the flowers and leaves in early spring or the red berries in the fall to make a heart tonic t
      hat will help to balance blood pressure. Caution: this herb lowers blood pressure over time. The berries can also be simmered to make a sore throat tea.
      Flower tea: steep 2 tsp. buds per 1 cup of water, take up to 1 ½ cups a day in ¼ cup doses. Berry tea: simmer 1 tsp. crushed berries per ½ cup water for about 20 minutes. Take up to 1 ½ cups a day in ¼ cup doses.
      Lore: the totem plant of the Ogilvies. Where oak and ash and thorn grow together one is likely to see Fairies. (excerpt from my book SCOTTISH HERBS AND FAIRY LORE, Pendraig Publishing)

      Herbalism, Celtic romance and lore; visit my bookstore and blog at http://www.elleneverthopman.com
      Celtic Tree Magic Workshop, Western MA, September 2013, Gaelic chants and prayers, tree herbalism
      http://elleneverthopman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CelticTreeMagicWorkshopNew.pdf

    • carmeldiviney
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 10:14 AM
        Happy Bealtaine Ellen and all :) Thanks for the song to put us in a summer mood, nice weather looking promising!