Re: [savetara.com] crowning a High King

  • Colmmac
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
      Of course. But I'd imagine not many can trace their ancestry unbroken to Niall Mor, as I have done. But should anyone be given the High Kingship? Probably not. It is a position of great honor and responsibility that should not be taken lightly. I am not worthy and I doubt anyone is. Plus, power can be overwhelming. If I feel that this isn't a good idea, they should listen. What do the chieftains think of this?

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013

        This protest makes no sense.  The Tara festival is a piece of theater to promote the area, nothing more. As for the argument of the "Sacred Kingship" versus commercial gain - the main function of an Ard Rí is/was to ensure the prosperity of the people, so there is no conflict here whatsoever.  Further, Ireland is a Republic, so the idea that someone who wins first prize - at what is really an  upscale village fete - would have any standing, is ludicrous.

        If the M3 protesters had come up with an awareness raising exercise along these lines, they may have been more successful than the digging of tunnels and lighting of fires all over the place - destroying the archeology and devaluing the site for generations to come (who knows what information has been lost?)

        This and other posts I've seen this morning seem to be coming from the same camp of "druids" who back in the 90s tried to crown an American ‘high king’; in return he would name their leader the ‘arch druid’, and from those who think  that because they protested the M3 Tara belongs to them.  This is not some central government scheme, nor are the majority of the Gathering festivals and events.  It is mostly about local community groups trying to bolster their area, and this festival committee is doing it in a way that is most fitting with the history of the festival of Tara.

        As for claims that a person can trace their ancestry back fadó fadó (that’s long long ago, for those of you not familiar with our language), and would therefore be somehow more fitting a choice for the High Kingship, if this were even a serious contest – a King’s connection to land and people are/were of primary importance, if this was not right the prosperity would suffer.  The idea of eldest sons inheritance and ‘pure’ bloodlines is a foreign import.

        Le Meas,

        Francis De’Venney (Faol Lia)

        Lora O’Brien (Faol Lia, & Rathcroghan)

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
          Dear Mr De Venney,

          You raise a few points that I cannot resist addressing:

          Firstly, you say "Ireland is a republic". Well, in my scheme of things, Ireland covers 32 counties and it's only a republic when it includes 32 counties.

          Secondly, you are a little misinformed or cloudy in your vision re. the M3 protesters. THEY DID ORGANISE AWARENESS RAISING EXERCISES (perhaps you were not familiar with them!?)The CST (Campaign to save Tara) for instance organised a Human Harp event on September 24, 2007, to which 1,500 people flocked. This was overseen by an international environmental aerial photographer and was an extremely graphic and eye catching event.

          Thirdly, local community groups or not, this event is tied in with a cynical aspect which emanates from the whole 'Gathering' initiative: to make money exceedingly quickly, and exploit visitors with cynical gimmicks - in this case, the Hill of Tara with an inauthentic, superficial and banal unfurling of 'A new High King'.

          Finally, it serves no purpose, to disparage or demean the M3 protesters; if nothing else, it merely falls into the perennial propaganda trap, that such people are hippies or 'crusties'. It also is an exemplar of 'generalising' and 'stereotyping.

          Is mise le meas,

          Roibeard McGiolla Rua

          To: savetara@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
            I’ve just been on the phone and had a lovely chat with one of the organisers of the event. He explained that the website is still under construction, (explains the “blah blah blah” on one of the pages)  as is the order of proceedings for the day and a disclaimer on the status of High Kingship is being worked on.  It is the wording on the website which caused the misunderstandings and this will be addressed.

            He explains that it is a not for profit community event with no hidden agendas. In fact talking to him, and I know him to be very responsible and always with Tara’s best interest at heart, I personally feel a whole lot better that this will be a well run event which will promote Tara.

            I’m not going to dignify what you have written about the protesters.

            I am also not going to dignify what you have written about “camp of “druids”, which is utter crap.

            I think personally, that here and FB and elsewhere, it is great that people are being vigilant and responsible.

            Carmel

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013

              Dear Mr McElroy,

              You seem to be confusing Republicanism with Nationalism.  An unfortunately common misunderstanding.

              Also, yes I am aware of the human harp photo.

              And yes it is  "an inauthentic, superficial and banal unfurling of 'A new High King'" that’s the whole point - it's a piece of theater.  This is a Living History Event.

              I did not mean to imply that all protesters were deliberately damaging to the site but I believe a significant enough portion did damage enough to justify my comments.

              (response from Fran DeVenney)

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
                Roibeard can well defend his political views, no better man.

                Awareness initiatives that we utilised besides the last ditch Direct Action occupation of heritage sites, blockading, digger diving, tree platforms, tunnel etc

                Leafletting Campaigns,
                Letter writing campaigns,
                Petitions- several
                Marches- several
                Banner Protests- constant
                Press releases, countless
                TV and Radio programmes, several
                GPO info stall /leaflets, petitions, dozens
                Music Festivals around the country – info stall/leaflets/petitions/  two whole years
                Two double Tara Muisc CDs
                Constant presence on Indymedia.
                None of these were funded by The Gtahering, we funded them ourselves. I personally sank thousands into it – as did others!

                I could go on and on. Believe me, writing a book about it brings it all back up as fresh as a daisy. I’m battered and bruised all over again.

                As for the other matter, while I am still at liberty to prosecute the person/s responsible for the lies against me via their disgusting internet campaign I will refrain from speaking about it on any public forum ilthough I do so with very great strength of will indeed. You can speak to me personally.

                Carmel

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
                    Dear Cruachan Ai,

                    I have no confusion at all. Dont misquote me or twist what I say. It is NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH REPUBLICANISM OR NATIONALISM and I don't know why you're saying that! Ireland is 32 counties if you look at the map not 26 counties - simple as that. So you should state things properly and not be erroneous in your conceptualising.

                    You may not have intended to disparage but you did; it's important to be objective. There were positives and negatives for sure but it doesn't gain anything to dwell on the negative aspects of a situation.

                    Re. this sham event: it's more than theatre we are talking about. It will manifest itself through manipulation and exploitation and is preying upon the idealistic sensibilities of people.

                    Yours respectfully,

                    Roibeard McElroy

                    To: savetara@yahoogroups.com
                    From: carmeldiviney@...