Fw: [mythical-ireland] New Boyne Valley ancient sites interactive map

  • Carmel Diviney
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2013
      Great stuff from Anthony here.

      Happy New Year from Mythical Ireland

      INTERACTIVE MAP

      I've created a brand new fully interactive map of the Boyne Valley to
      feature some of the new discoveries by archaeologists. A number of new
      monuments, possible monuments and landscape features have been uncovered
      over the past few years using imaging techniques such as LiDAR and
      geophysical techniques like gradiometry. The map shows information about
      each site when you hover over it, and many sites are clickable, taking
      you to further information. You can see the map here:

      http://www.mythicalireland.com/Boyne-Valley-Map/

      MAKING THE MAP

      I've also created a short video showing how the various elements of the
      map were put together layer by layer. You can see the video here:

      http://blog.mythicalireland.com/2013/01/video-making-of-new-boyne-valley.html

      NEWGRANGE AND THE PYRAMIDS

      Newgrange is located exactly one tenth of the earth's circumference from
      the Giza pyramids in Egypt. This amazing, and perhaps coincidental, fact
      was first noticed by James Q. Jacobs in 1991. Newgrange and the pyramids
      are located 36 degrees of angular separation from each other. This fact
      can be easily seen using the Google Earth program:

      http://www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/newgrange/newgrange-pyramids/newgrange-and-the-pyramids.html

      ORION/CÚCHULAINN GUARDS THE STARRY FORD

      Cúchulainn, the mythical hero of the Táin Bó Cuailnge epic, has many
      attributes that place him among the stars, specifically as the
      constellation we know today as Orion. In Ciaran Carson's translation of
      The Táin, we read that Cúchulainn guards the "starlit ford of night",
      the ford being the crossing point of the Milky Way, located just above
      Orion, where the sun, moon and planets wander across the heavenly river.
      Here is a nice photo of Orion, Taurus and Sirius with Jupiter taken last
      night near Slane:

      http://blog.mythicalireland.com/2013/01/cuchulainn-guards-starlit-ford-of-night.html

      FLICKR

      Don't forget you can see a small selection of my photos on Flickr at the
      following address:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mythicalireland/

      NEWGRANGE BOOK

      Newgrange: Monument to Immortality has been selling well in the lead-up
      to winter solstice and Christmas, and has already received a couple of
      five-star reviews at Amazon. You can purchase the book, and read the
      reviews, here:

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newgrange-Monument-Immortality-Anthony-Murphy/dp/1908308249

      That's all for now. I wish you all a great year in 2013 and I hope that
      the new year brings a renewal of spirit and energy to each and every one
      of you.

      Slán go fóil,
      Anthony Murphy