Re: [savetara.com] Letter from Pauline - well done again, missed it completely!

  • Carmel Diviney
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2012
      Brilliant Pauline- as ever Smile

      Sent: Friday, December 07, 2012 12:05 AM
      Subject: [savetara.com] Letter from Pauline - well done again, missed it completely!

      Understanding the Gathering
      Friday November 16 2012
      4 Comments
      • Is the Gathering, as Gabriel Byrne says, a scam? To a large extent, yes,
      having seen some proposals that seem to consist of regurgitating old ideas from
      other countries.
      The problem with the Gathering is an intrinsic one that resides in modern
      Ireland: we do not value our uniqueness. We look outside ourselves for answers.
      History shows us that the answers almost always lie within our population.
      We spend our time looking for the quick fix, the quick buck, when the answer
      lies in the long-term goal of building a fair, stable and prosperous society.
      We fight for the twig at the end of the branch, a hospital or an entitlement –
      and yet the tree itself is dying.
      Sadly, those who forget history are doomed to repeat it – British rule or no
      British rule. The majority of Irish people are hardworking and fair. A certain
      minority care for nothing but their own welfare.
      We previously had a society that regulated this behaviour by putting many
      constraints on those who wished to call themselves rulers.
      We value Tara but all our leaders refuse to countenance the very simple solution
      of re-routing the M3 out of Tara and Rath Lugh whenever the Leinster orbital
      comes into reality.
      We want our diaspora to help when we continue to destroy the very things that
      connect them to Ireland.
      Nobody wants to come to events not connected with their ancestry. We have
      totally ignored the 170th anniversary of the 1843 Monster March – a pivotal
      moment in not only Irish history (and probably attended by US President Barack
      Obama's ancestor who left in 1850), but also in the history of peaceful
      democratic movements, being the first march attended by a million people.
      To honestly build a proper tourism model, we should first of all value who and
      what we are – that was lost with the battle against the M3.
      Pauline Bleach
      Wolli Creek, NSW, Australia
      Irish Independent

      http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/understanding-the-gathering-3295382.ht\