Re: [savetara.com] Letter - Irish Times

  • Terry
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Robyn, all
      It is extremely important that the survey reports be driven home
      again and again and again and again. These results represent the will
      of the majority , something a democratically elected government is
      charged with recognising and acting upon.
      However, and with respect...
      Survey shows 2 out of 3 (two thirds). are against the motorway going
      through the Tara/Skryne Valley, not 3 out of 4 (three quarters) as
      your letter suggests.
      We need to be very careful about presenting truth lest we be accused
      of presenting lies.
      Solas
      Terry
      http://www.sacredireland.org

      Irish Times Thursday 31st August 2006

      > MOTORWAY AND HILL OF TARA
      >

      > Madam, - I am planning a group heritage tour of Ireland in
      > 2007/2008 and
      > am extremely saddened to hear that we possibly will be unable to
      > see the
      > Hill of Tara and surrounding valley in their unspoilt beauty
      > because of
      > the proposed M3 motorway. I understand a recent survey has shown three
      > quarters of Irish citizens want Tara to be protected from the
      > motorway,
      > but the current Government is pressing on regardless and ignoring its
      > people. I wonder how this factors into next year's elections. -
      > Yours, etc,
      >
      > ROBYN WOOD, Modbury North, South Australia.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Robyn
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hi Terry,

        Point taken. The survey figures I saw said 70%, which I roughly
        rounded up to 3/4 for ease of writing (perhaps I should have
        said 'almost' 3/4). Plus I was writing as a foreign tourist not as
        part of any official campaign. Has anyone got the official link to
        the survey so I can ensure exact quotes next time?

        cheers, Robyn

        --- In savetara@yahoogroups.com, Terry <intuition@...> wrote:

        > Hi Robyn, all
        > It is extremely important that the survey reports be driven home
        > again and again and again and again. These results represent the
        will
        > of the majority , something a democratically elected government is
        > charged with recognising and acting upon.
        > However, and with respect...
        > Survey shows 2 out of 3 (two thirds). are against the motorway
        going
        > through the Tara/Skryne Valley, not 3 out of 4 (three quarters) as
        > your letter suggests.
        > We need to be very careful about presenting truth lest we be
        accused
        > of presenting lies.
        > Solas
        > Terry
        > http://www.sacredireland.org
        >
        > Irish Times Thursday 31st August 2006
        > >
        > > MOTORWAY AND HILL OF TARA
        > >

        > > Madam, - I am planning a group heritage tour of Ireland in
        > > 2007/2008 and
        > > am extremely saddened to hear that we possibly will be unable to
        > > see the
        > > Hill of Tara and surrounding valley in their unspoilt beauty
        > > because of
        > > the proposed M3 motorway. I understand a recent survey has shown
        three
        > > quarters of Irish citizens want Tara to be protected from the
        > > motorway,
        > > but the current Government is pressing on regardless and ignoring
        its
        > > people. I wonder how this factors into next year's elections. -
        > > Yours, etc,
        > >
        > > ROBYN WOOD, Modbury North, South Australia.
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dr. Muireann Ni Bhrolchain
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2007
          Irish Times, Monday 16 April 2007
          ROCHE AND THE M3 AT TARA
          Madam, - If, as he claims, Minister for the Environment Dick Roche
          strongly believes in the conservation and protection of our built
          heritage ( The Irish Times, April 12th), why is there a motorway being
          routed through the Tara-Skryne valley, despoiling Ireland's oldest and
          most revered national monument?
          Is the all-singing, all-dancing Irish Government planning a performance
          of The Pirate Queen on the Hill of Tara?
          Yours, etc, PATRICK O'BYRNE, Shandon Crescent, Phibsborough, Dublin 7.
        • Dr. Muireann Ni Bhrolchain
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2007
            TARA AND THE M3 MOTORWAY

            Irish Times - Letter to the Editor
            Thursday, May 31, 2007
            Madam, - In 1699, after the battle of the Boyne, Charles Campbell was
            given land north of the Boyne. He needed to build walls for his new
            estate so he sent his workmen to dig a quarry nearby.

            The men started to dig and soon found a large stone covered in carvings
            and patterns. The foreman sent for Campbell who realised that this was
            an important discovery, called a halt to the digging and went elsewhere
            for his stone.

            He did not know what the stone meant or what it signified but he had
            the vision to recognise its value. He acknowledged that maybe future
            generations might discover its true meaning. The stone is the kerbstone
            of Newgrange and is recognised internationally as a symbol of Ireland,
            the jewel in the crown of Irish heritage.

            In recent weeks a ritual site has been uncovered during the
            construction work on the M3. Will we learn from history and the vision
            of one man who was humble enough to realise he did not have the
            information or the right to destroy something just because it was "his"
            and convenient for his purpose? Will future generations thank the
            powers-that-be for their decisions?

            With all our education and knowledge we would do well to learn from
            Campbell's example. Ireland without Newgrange would be a poorer place.
            We are not learning from our history we are ignoring it and making a
            huge mistake.

            We should re-route the M3 now and allow our children the richness of
            their heritage.

            - Yours, etc,

            DOMINIC GRYSON,
            Baile Mhae,