Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Irish Examiner 1 April 09

Expand Messages
  • Dr. Muireann Ni Bhrolchain
    Irish Examiner, Wednesday, April 01, 2009 Emissions in transport sector soar by 165% by Ann Cahill Europe Correspondent IRELAND increased its transport
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      Irish Examiner, Wednesday, April 01, 2009

      Emissions in transport sector soar by 165%
      by Ann Cahill Europe Correspondent

      IRELAND increased its transport emissions more than any other country in
      Europe, up by a massive 165% from 1990 to 2006, compared with an average
      of 28% among 28 European countries surveyed.

      The head of the European Environment Agency, Professor Jacqueline
      McGlade, said the latest figures call into question how serious Europe
      is in meeting its commitment to reduce CO2 by up to 30% over the next
      few years.

      Despite technology existing to reduce emissions from transport, very
      little is being done to use it, and countries are still using the least
      efficient modes to move people and goods, she said when launching the
      report, Transport at a Crossroads, in the European Parliament.

      The figures for Ireland show the numbers travelling by rail and bus have
      dropped over the last 10 years in favour of car travel, while freight
      has moved almost totally away from rail to road.

      In 1997, about 6.7% of freight was moved by rail, but this has now
      fallen to 1.2%, leaving 98.8% of goods being transported by road. At the
      same time, investment in roads increased by 500%, while spending on rail
      all but halted.

      Prof McGlade said: "We know the technology exists to tackle impacts of
      the transport sector on Europe’s environment. However, many vehicles
      rolling off production lines are anything but green, the freight sector
      still favours the least efficient transport modes, and railways across
      the EU still do not have a unified system.

      "At a time when we need to tackle our economic and environmental
      problems through sustainable and green solutions, trends in transport
      are pointing in the wrong direction, and will continue to contribute to
      air pollution, rising emissions and many negative environmental impacts".

      Emissions increased by 26% — more than total emissions from Belgium —
      while freight increased by a third — more than Germany’s total freight
      transport. Rail freight and inland waterways saw a decline in market
      share, while car ownership increased by 22% — in Ireland the increase
      was 30%.

      The professor said what is needed are well-designed policies to manage
      demand for transport, and one way of changing people’s habits is to
      increase the cost of travelling by road in a person’s own transport.

      A 10% increase in petrol or diesel prices results in a 20% increase in
      the number of people travelling by bus.

      "We still need clear, measurable, realistic and timerelated targets for
      reducing greenhouse gas emissions, air emissions and noise from
      transport. Perhaps more critically, consumers have indicated through
      their reaction to volatile prices last year that fuel and road pricing
      clearly has a role to play in tackling transport demand," said Prof McGlade.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.