Meath Chronicle Letter - How would 1916 heroes feel about Tara?

  • fhearg
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2005
      How would 1916 heroes feel about Tara?
      20.08.05

      (Editor, Meath Chronicle)

      Dear sir - First the Tara brooch-shaped building for Trim and now an
      anxiety to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the 1916 Rising. Noel
      Dempsey is suddenly aware of our heritage. I wonder how those brave
      men and women would react to his recent decisions?

      We know how Arthur Griffith would react. The minister declared
      himself a lover of Tara and a history graduate during his speech to
      the Dáil on November 23rd 2004. It must have come as quite a shock to
      him that most renowned Irish historians in the world do not agree
      with his decision to try to forge a twice-tolled motorway through
      Tara's "surrounds" (the Gabhra Valley).

      He said during his speech: "Like everyone else in the House, my
      location and family place is a central point of reference in my life,
      in my mental map and my sense of heritage.

      The fact that I am a history graduate adds to my fascination with
      history, heritage and the past.

      "Ireland, indeed Europe, has few sites as significant historically as
      Tara.

      It is part of our ethos, our memory and our archaeological wealth. It
      is part of what makes us Irish. Some may think that is over the top,
      but I do not.

      "I would never and could never do anything or support a

      policy that would be to the detriment of Tara or its surrounds. I
      venture to say that no one from County Meath would do so. No one is
      more committed to guarding our heritage and our history. I speak not
      just for myself but for Meath people generally. I believe it is our
      collective duty to protect our heritage and our history in a way that
      serves the needs of our citizens in the present and into the future."

      Replying to Deputy Eamon Gilmore he stated: "The truth hurts. The
      road would not be there only I started it."

      Deputy Gilmore: "The truth hurts. Is the minister taking credit for
      it?" Minister Dempsey: "I am, yes."

      Refreshingly honest of him to admit that he will go down in history
      as the minister responsible for the destruction of the site that he
      considers "part of what makes us Irish". How "Irish" can he get?

      When Lord Deputy Mountjoy marched into O Néill land in 1602 after the
      defeat at Kinsale, he destroyed their inauguration chair. What have
      the people of Ireland done to deserve this destruction?

      Minister Dempsey is certainly living up to his surname. Ó Díomsaigh
      from díomas (pride, arrogance, contempt).

      Yours sincerely,

      DR MUIREANN NÍ BHROLCHÁIN

      (lecturer in Celtic studies)

      PRO Save Tara Skryne Valley Group,