Irish Times - breaking news: Planning refused for Slane bypass

  • Vincent Salafia
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2012
      Planning refused for Slane bypasshttp://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0307/breaking22.html

      ÉANNA Ó CAOLLAÍ

      An Bord Pleanála has refused planning permission for the N2 Slane Bypass in County Meath.
      Meath County Council sought approval for the 3.5 kilometer route which was to cross the River Boyne on a new bridge between the townlands of Fennor
      and Crewbane at a location to the east of the existing Slane bridge.
      Citing the importance and sensitivity of the location of the proposed road An
      Bord Pleanála refused permission on several grounds.
      It said the
      development, which would be a permanent feature in the landscape, would
      be acceptable only where it has been demonstrated that no appropriate
      alternative is available.
      The proposed bypass is located in the
      Boyne Valley and is located within view of the Brú na Bóinne Unesco
      World Heritage Site, which An Bord Pleanála said "is one of the most
      important prehistoric megalithic sites in Europe and is of international importance".
      The authority said the plan would have "a
      detrimental impact on the rural character, landscape setting, cultural
      amenity and archaeological heritage of the Brú na Bóinne archaeological
      complex, and would be contrary to the heritage protection provisions of
      the Development Plan".
      Campaign group Save Newgrange welcomed the
      decision as "a huge victory for heritage and sustainable development in
      Ireland" and called for an "immediate" ban on HGV vehicles in the
      village.
      Spokesman Vincen Salafia said:
      “The Unesco World
      Heritage Site is our most popular tourist attraction, which will play a
      key role in our economic recovery, and it deserves the highest level of
      legal protection.
      “We urge the authorities to immediately
      implement a HGV ban in the village, in order to protect drivers,
      villagers and the heritage value of the village", he said.

      ==

      Thanks to everyone who supported the campaign! Particularly you Siobhain!