Save Newgrange/Alternative A5 Alliance demonstration last Friday

  • Vincent Salafia
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2011
      Thanks to everyone to came out to demonstrate on Friday, and those who helped promote the event on the Net.

      We started at the Dail, and Press Association kindly covered the event, which was picked up by Metro Herald:
      http://pictures.metro.co.uk/latest-news/1113631/Motorway-protest

      From there we went to Dame St, and showed our support for Occupy Dame St. Then we continued on to the GPO were Martin McGuinness was campaigning on the Presidential trail. Laura Grealish challenged him about Sinn Fein's failure to object to the Slane bypass, in contrast with their opposition to the M3 at Tara. The story was picked up by the Guardian:

      "On Friday afternoon, outside Irish republicanism's most sacred spot - Dublin's General Post Office, where the 1916 Easter Rising began - McGuinness was confronted, not for the first time, by members of the public opposed to his politics.

      On this occasion, the subject was not his record with the IRA, nor his alleged role in several high-profile atrocities. A cross-community group of environmental activists from Northern Ireland interrupted his canvass on O'Connell Street to object to Sinn Fein support for a new Dublin/Derry road link, which they say will mean the destruction of homes, farms and businesses. One of those who accosted McGuinness was Ciaran McClean, son of Paddy Joe McClean, a prominent activist in the Northern Ireland civil rights movement who was tortured by the British army in 1971.

      "I ambushed McGuinness outside the GPO. I asked him why he supported taking half a billion euros out of the Irish economy for a road. His heavies [security guards] weren't too pleased," McClean said yesterday.

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/oct/23/martin-mcguinness-slumps-polls-presidency

      The Sunday World had a weird article, on the other hand, by Paddy Murray, who had opposed the M3 at Tara:

      "Go home, people. Go home. You might mean well. But you'd be better off helping those who really need help. You're tilting at windmills. And I should know. I've done enough of it."

      Something tells me he votes Labour, along with some of our old 'friends' at Tara
      http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/paddy-murray.php?aid=9118