My Senators statement

  • Diana Coleman Huddleston
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2001
      I haven't yet formulated a reply to this yet - but I will fax him today telling him what a sellout he is.  Another alcoholic who refuses to acknowledge he has a problem.  I can say that because I'm one - so if I offend anyone sorry - I just believe if calling it like I see it.  Di

      STATEMENT OF SENATOR JIM BUNNING
      IN SUPPORT OF THE NOMINATION OF JOHN ASHCROFT

      "MR. PRESIDENT, I RISE IN SUPPORT OF THE NOMINATION OF JOHN ASHCROFT TO BE OUR NEXT U.S. ATTORNEY GENERAL.

      FOR WEEKS NOW, THE MEDIA, MEMBERS OF THIS BODY, AND THE LIBERAL LEFT HAVE CONDUCTED NOTHING MORE THAN A SMEAR CAMPAIGN AGAINST JOHN ASHCROFT.

      MR. PRESIDENT, I SERVED WITH JOHN ASHCROFT AS A DEPUTY WHIP FOR TWO YEARS IN THE 106TH CONGRESS AND I CAME TO KNOW HIM PRETTY WELL. HE IS ONE OF THE MOST INTELLIGENT, FAIR, AND COMPASSIONATE MEN I HAVE EVER KNOWN. HE IS THOUGHTFUL AND FULL OF INTEGRITY AND HUMILITY. HE IS GOING TO MAKE A FINE ATTORNEY GENERAL.

      WHAT IS BEING DONE TO JOHN ASHCROFT AND HIS REPUTATION IS WRONG.

      TODAY I WANT TO HELP SET THINGS STRAIGHT ABOUT JOHN ASHCROFT, AND TO SEPARATE THE FACTS FROM THE LIES AND DISTORTIONS THAT ARE BEING CARELESSLY TOSSED AROUND ABOUT HIM AND HIS RECORD.

      FIRST OF ALL, JOHN ASHCROFT IS ONE OF THE MOST QUALIFIED NOMINEES EVER TO BE NAMED TO BE ATTORNEY GENERAL. HE WAS TWICE ELECTED TO BE MISSOURI’S ATTORNEY GENERAL. HE WAS TWICE ELECTED TO BE MISSOURI’S GOVERNOR. AND THE PEOPLE OF MISSOURI ELECTED HIM IN 1994 TO BE ONE OF THEIR U.S. SENATORS.

      NONE OF OUR PREVIOUS ATTORNEYS GENERAL HAVE HAD SUCH BROAD POPULAR SUPPORT FROM THE PEOPLE WHO KNEW THEM BEST.

      IN EACH OF THESE POSTS, JOHN ASHCROFT SERVED WITH DISTINCTION, BEING HONORED BY HIS PEERS WITH LEADERSHIP POSITIONS. AS MISSOURI ATTORNEY GENERAL, JOHN ASHCROFT WAS ELECTED PRESIDENT OF THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF ATTORNEYS GENERAL. AS MISSOURI GOVERNOR, HE WAS ELECTED CHAIRMAN OF THE NATIONAL GOVERNORS' ASSOCIATION.

      NOW MANY OF THE LIBERAL SPECIAL INTERESTS GROUPS ARE TRYING TO TAR AND FEATHER HIM BY ATTACKING HIS LONG AND DISTINGUISHED RECORD OF PUBLIC SERVICE. BUT FACTS ARE STUBBORN THINGS, AND THE FACTS PROVE THEM WRONG.

      THE LIBERALS CLAIM THAT JOHN’S VIEWS ARE OUT OF THE MAINSTREAM. SOME ARE EVEN RESORTING TO NAME-CALLING AND CALLING HIM A RACIST AND AN EXTREMIST. BUT IT’S HARD TO SEE HOW HE COULD BE SUCH A DEMON AND STILL BE FIVE TIMES ELECTED TO STATEWIDE OFFICE.

      IF JOHN ASHCROFT'S EXECUTION OF THESE EARLIER PUBLIC TRUSTS WAS AS FAR "OUT OF THE MAINSTREAM" AS HIS CRITICS NOW CLAIM, THE PEOPLE OF MISSOURI WOULD HAVE RIDDEN HIM OUT OF TOWN ON A RAIL. HIS PEERS SURELY WOULD NOT HAVE HONORED HIM FOR HIS ACHIEVEMENTS.

      THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THAT JOHN ASHCROFT’S VIEWS ARE IN LINE WITH THOSE OF MOST MISSOURIANS AND MOST AMERICANS. IF HIS IDEAS AND BELIEFS ARE SO FAR OUT OF THE MAINSTREAM, ARE JOHN ASHCROFT’S CRITICS REALLY SAYING THAT THE MAJORITY OF CITIZENS IN MISSOURI WHO ELECTED HIM TO THESE POSTS ARE EXTREMISTS? ARE HIS CRITICS READY TO MAKE THIS CLAIM? I DOUBT IT.

      THE RHETORIC WE HAVE HEARD FROM THESE CRITICS SERVES NOTHING MORE THAN TO FATTEN UP THE FUNDRAISING OF THE LEFT AND TO SCARE PEOPLE INTO VOTING FOR LIBERALS BY CONTINUING TO TRY AND LABEL CONSERVATIVES AS MEAN-SPIRITED EXTREMISTS.

      WE SAW IT WITH ROBERT BORK. WE SAW IT WITH CLARENCE THOMAS. NOW WE ARE SEEING IT WITH JOHN ASHCROFT. IT’S JUST HOT AIR, AND I BELIEVE THAT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE GOING TO REJECT THESE TACTICS AND THE POLITICS OF PERSONAL DESTRUCTION.

      ANOTHER ONE OF THE LIES THAT IS BEING TOLD ABOUT JOHN ASHCROFT IS THAT HE IS A RACIST. HIS CRITICS POINT TO HIS OPPOSITION TO MISSOURI JUDGE RONNIE WHITE FOR A POSITION AS A FEDERAL JUDGE AS PROOF. BUT, AGAIN, LET’S IGNORE THE RHETORIC AND LOOK AT THE FACTS.

      WHEN HE WAS GOVERNOR, JOHN ASHCROFT APPOINTED THE FIRST BLACK JUDGE TO ONE OF MISSOURI’S APPELLATE COURTS. AS A U.S. SENATOR, JOHN ASHCROFT VOTED TO CONFIRM 26 BLACK JUDGES OUT OF 28 NOMINATED TO FEDERAL JUDGESHIPS. HE LED THE FIGHT TO SAVE LINCOLN UNIVERSITY WHICH WAS FOUNDED BY BLACK SOLDIERS. HIS WIFE, JANET, EVEN TEACHES AS A LAW PROFESSOR AT HOWARD UNIVERSITY, ONE OF OUR LEADING HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES.

      FOR HIS CRITICS TO NOW TURN AROUND AND CALL JOHN A RACIST IS ABSURD AND NOTHING MORE THAN DIRTY POLITICS.

      WHEN THEY’RE NOT CALLING JOHN ASHCROFT A RACIST, THE LIBERALS SNEER THAT HE CAN’T BE TRUSTED TO ENFORCE THE LAW. THEY DON’T HAVE ANY REAL PROOF, JUST A LOT OF STRONG WORDS. THEY SAY THAT JOHN ISN’T FAIR-MINDED ENOUGH TO ENFORCE LAWS HE MIGHT NOT AGREE WITH.

      BUT JOHN DID A FINE JOB ENFORCING MISSOURI’S LAWS WHEN HE WAS ATTORNEY GENERAL THERE. AND I BELIEVE THAT AFTER HE LAYS HIS HAND ON THE BIBLE AND SWEARS TO UPHOLD THE CONSTITUTION AS OUR 68TH ATTORNEY GENERAL THAT HE WILL DO A FINE JOB FOR OUR NATION.

      EIGHT YEARS AGO WHEN JANET RENO WAS NOMINATED TO BE ATTORNEY GENERAL, NO ONE MADE THE RIDICULOUS CHARGE THAT SHE WOULDN’T UPHOLD LAWS SHE MIGHT NOT AGREE WITH. NO ONE CAN OR SHOULD MAKE THE SAME CLAIM ABOUT JOHN ASHCROFT.

      JOHN ASHCROFT WILL ENFORCE THE LAW. HE IS A MAN OF HIS WORD. HE HAS AN IMPECCABLE RECORD OF LAW ENFORCEMENT. I KNOW AND I FULLY TRUST HIM TO DO THE JOB WHICH HE WILL BE SWORN TO DO.

      LET’S FACE IT. THE REAL PROBLEM THE CRITICS ON THE LEFT HAVE IS JOHN ASHCROFT’S STANCE ON THE ISSUES AND HIS CONSERVATIVE PHILOSOPHY. BUT THEY KNOW THEY CAN’T USE THIS AS A REAL REASON TO DEFEAT HIS NOMINATION. SO THEY RESORT TO CALLING HIM NAMES AND THROWING MUD AT HIM, HOPING THAT SOMETHING WILL STICK.

      THEY DRAG OUT THE PROCESS AS LONG AS POSSIBLE AND DIG AROUND IN THE DIRT FOR ANY SCRAPS THEY CAN FIND. THEY SMEAR HIS GOOD NAME. THEY MAKE UP BOGUS CHARGES. THEY EVEN SINK AS LOW AS TO QUESTION HIS RELIGIOUS BELIEFS.

      IT’S SAD. AND IT WON’T WORK.

      THE JOB OF ATTORNEY GENERAL IS NOT TO ADVOCATE POLICY. IT IS TO ENFORCE OUR LAWS. THE QUESTION WE HAVE TO ASK ABOUT JOHN ASHCROFT IS WILL HE ENFORCE THOSE LAWS. HIS RECORD SAYS HE WILL. HE HAS REPEATEDLY SAID HE WILL. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE TO SAY OTHERWISE, JUST FALSE CHARGES AND NAME-CALLING.

      JOHN ASHCROFT IS GOING TO BE CONFIRMED, AND I BELIEVE HIS CRITICS’S TACTICS ARE BACKFIRING.

      MR. PRESIDENT, I URGE MY COLLEAGUES TO VOTE FOR JOHN ASHCROFT. WE COULD NOT ASK FOR A MORE QUALIFIED AND FAIR-MINDED PERSON FOR THE JOB. JOHN WILL MAKE US PROUD.

      ###

      http://bunning.senate.gov/index.htm
      1/30/2001 4:20 p.m.