having more food

  • Vincent
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2006
      Hey, this is Vincent

      Sorry I wasn't able to come this last friday, but I hear it went well...

      As for having more food, I think first off, not eating the food ourselves could be a great
      first step! LOL! I mean there are usually more volunteers than homeless people feeding, so
      if we just wait to eat there should be a ton of extra food that will actually go to those who
      need it. Yeah, it may be un-egalitarian, but it's practical.

      Also, if we are hungry, we could just eat the Starbucks stuff instead, since no one usually
      takes the muffins and scones anyways. I just got done throwing out a bunch of those
      things that got stale in my fridge after a week. We really get way too many of those things.

      Second, I think we shouldn't be afraid to cook more readily made, cheap stuff like pasta
      and beans. A dollars worth of pasta/beans goes a LONG way, and last time I was there,
      there were a ton of tomato sauce cans left.

      I have some numbers for publix and panera, i just need to call them and actually talk to
      them about the donation stuff. I procrastinate. Sorry guys.

      I've been buying my own veggies from the flea market here in tampa, where eggplants are
      two for a dollar, and $10 will buy almost as many fresh veggies as we pull out of the
      dumpsters. So if you guys want, I can get stuff from there if you can't find anything good
      in the dump. Problem is that it is only open on Sat and Sundays. So I'd have to get them a
      week ahead of time, since I can't go on fridays.

      Two weeks ago, that one guy gave us $10. That's a lot of food if spent right! Should we set
      up a donations cup, or start begging strangers for cash during the week?

      Also, there are citrus trees on USF campus that are ripening right now, So for the next few
      weeks I can bring in all of the tangerines we want, but should I? I don't know what they
      could be cooked in besides the fruit crumbles...

      ~Vin