143Re: [Infoshop] Fwd: [sarasotafnb] City Commissioner Terry Turner Wants to Meet FNB Organizers

  • Anthony Doe
    Nov 21, 2009
      It sounds like the downtown merchants are getting a louder say than the people in our community, many of us understanding being a few paychecks from needing to find a hot meal in the park, or having joined FNB for a meal in the park.  This is the second group that Linda Holland and her folks down there have fought to kick out of a park for sharing meals.  We argued against the city ordinance last time that forbids gatherings of 75 people or more without a permit.  Lou Ann Palmer and Ken Shelin both supported that policy, as did Mary Ann Servian.  We have been working to get rid of that mind set.  I am not saying you are or aren't, I am just saying that this is an important issue to many in our community. I don't think many are aware that the downtown folks are seeking to kick FNB out of the park somehow.

      It sure would be nice if any of our commissioners would stand up and defend the rights of our transient population in Sarasota.  We would love to see the city provide some basic shelter for these folks in our community.

      Anthony Lorenzo

      On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 1:32 AM, Terry Turner <terryturner@...> wrote:
      Anthony,

      I know all that you have written, including your last sentence. My email to you did not mention or threaten any of the of the measures you enumerated. Sorry my email alarmed you. It was not meant to. I meant only to thank you for helping me.

      Terry

      Anthony Doe wrote:
      Dear Commissioner Turner:

      Sarasota FNB has a RIGHT to gather, discuss politics, and eat in the park.  That is too bad if some people down there think that they are a nuisance.  They have a RIGHT to gather in the park.  There is a pretty strong court ruling establishing this, Comissioner Turner, recently decided in Orlando.

      Any attempt to interfere with their activities will be met with opposition, both in placing the issue on the ballot as a charter amendment re-affirming FNB's rights and with litigation.

      As someone who endorsed you on the campaign trail (after Rick Farmer's elimination in the initial election), I hope you will reconsider.  Treating the homeless as a problem that should be incarcerated or starved out of town is not a position I for one can continue to support in any way.

      I will certainly be urging other like-minded Sarasotans to contact you and affirm that we support FNB and their RIGHT to gather and share food and political discourse in public parks.

      The only solution I can imagine is the city creating a space for FNB to cook food for homeless people that might be a reasonable position for the city.

      Anthony Lorenzo

      On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Terry Turner <terryturner@...> wrote:
      I met with three New College students. They are clearly well meaning and earnest. It is impossible not to be sympathetic with their goals. That said, the congestion and disruption caused by the concentration of homeless at 5 points is causing a backlash from downtown residents and business owners. We have to find a way to improve the situation

      Thanks for making the  introduction

      Regards

      Terry

      Anthony Doe wrote:
      I received the following response from the FNB folks (Food Not Bombs).  I told them to call you, but in case you wished to contact them.

      Anthony Lorenzo

      On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Marlon <marlon@...> wrote:
      melissa seems interested, maybe get in touch with her: