5 Holy Names-What do they mean?

  • klm178
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2003
      What is the meaning of each of the 5 holy names, jot niranjan, onkar,
      rarankar, sohung, sat nam? I know that each is supposed to be the
      name of the ruler of 5 of the inner realms. However, what do the
      words themselves actually mean?
    • onitamo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2003
        -- In santmatcharanradhasoamifacts@yahoogroups.com, klm178
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > What is the meaning of each of the 5 holy names, jot niranjan,
        onkar,
        > rarankar, sohung, sat nam? I know that each is supposed to be the
        > name of the ruler of 5 of the inner realms. However, what do the
        > words themselves actually mean?

        Hi,
        I have also analytic mind and tried to find what is the meaning of
        mantras.
        (one person wrote somewhere that if you try to understand what mantra
        means it is like analizing joke word by word and than you miss the
        point of joke..) but I did it and found as much as this:
        1. this are not the names of some ` rulers of this 5 planes'
        as
        initiator said to my group when I was initiated.I understood some of
        them are words with meaning,not the names of a person…but it can
        be
        tthe name too.For ex.Niranjan is common male indian name..
        jot=light (Joty)
        Niranjan
        if you read this beautiful Kabir's poem
        http://www.boloji.com/kabir/mysticsongs/km12.htm you will understand
        meaning.Read first in Sanskrit (or hindi) and lookat the translation.
        (Ram Niranjan…=.. Untainted Ram..)..
        Onkar…
        (I asked during initiation if this was not Omkar because I heard this
        term in hindu religion before.Answer was `no'…) often they
        don't know
        themselves who are initiators what and where this words comes…
        "The root of Onkar is traceable to the Hindu sacred syllable Om,
        also
        written as Aum.
        ..There is One and only One God who is transcendent as well as
        immanent.."
        http://altreligion.about.com/library/glossary/symbols/bldefsekonkar.ht
        Definition: A symbol of the unity of God, found on Sikh Gurudwaras.
        Ek Onkar means "God is one," and the symbol is derived from the
        Sanskrit OM.
        http://www.sikh.net/community/
        EK Onkar The most significant word used in the Sikh teachings. EK
        Onkar are the first two words of Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and also
        Mool Mantar.
        Literally, Ek means 'ONE' emphasizing the oneness of God, which is
        the basics of Sikhism. Onkar means The Onkar is derived from the
        Sanskrit word Om which consists of three syllable sounds representing
        the trinty of Bramha, Vishnu and Shiva. Onkar therefore means GOD in
        His entirety

        Rarankar –
        Here is something interesting..I copied one excerpt from this
        page…
        it is some sort of yoga..
        http://www3.sympatico.ca/sanjay_kjha/Vihangam_5.htm
        "..The concentrations on the various chakras in the body are
        associated with the utterances, of different Mantras or code words.
        Similarly the code word for different sounds produced when the life
        force (Pranas) reaches various points in the head are repeated by the
        aspirants and there ends their meditation. These audible sound are
        Niranjan, Om, Soham, Shakti and Rarankar which are heard when the
        consciousness reaches the tip of nose, the Trikuti, the Bhanwar
        Gupha, a spot between the Gupha and the top of the head and lastly he
        Brahma Randra or the tenth gate respectively. As the practitioner's
        consciousness reaches the head region, he also hears the…"
        Sohang
        (sohung) ...comes from so-hum (soham)(sanskrit mantra)
        http://a1.nu/ching-hai/c/ching_hai_secrets.htm
        so hung = I am as Thou are
        Sat = Truth
        Naam = Name
      • Nick
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2012
          5 holy names

          Thanks for your answers to the question on the 5 holy names and their meanings. I am a former member of MSIA (Movement of Spiritual Inner Awareness, founded by the American John-Roger Hinkins). MSIA devotees use the same cosmology and mantras as Sant Mat.  Well, actually, it's the same but slightly out of sequence. The sequence is Jot Niranjan, Ra Rankar, Om Kar (note the Om, not On), etc.  I am curious to know how the mantras are taught in the Sant Mat tradition. Group instructed, or by personal initiation? In MSIA, it's done via private initiation. The initiate has to "earn" each mantra as he pierces each spiritual realm through silent repetition of the "tones" for two hours each day. The first two mantras (names of the lords of the Astral and Causal realms, respectively) are imparted at the first initiation, which is earned through studying monthly discourses and chanting Hu or Ani-Hu for the first two years. The third mantra (Mental realm) is given when the initiate is deemed to be ready. Ditto the fourth and fifth mantras (Etheric and Soul realms). Can anyone tell me how the mantras are imparted in the Sant Mat tradition?