Intro to Yoruba Religion & Nine African Spirtual Powers Workshops-NYC!!!

  • Nefrem Neter
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2010
      Happy New Year Orisa Community!

      After a long break which included my recent initiation into Ifa, traveling to Nigeria to continue my studies and documentary film footage I am back.    I would like to personally thank all of those who waited patiently for the workshops to resume again.

      During this new year lets take this opportunity to live up to the awesomely, amazing, and bright potential which our Ori's have in store for us.  I give homage to all the elders on all Orisa paths who have laid the foundation for me and wish you continued blessings and support.  I ask that we always remember our own inner power, strength and ability to change our own energy from bad to good.

      Please stay tuned for future workshops this year including traditional Yoruba Orisa documentary films and the Osun Osogbo Festival Tour in August.

      Sangobukunmi Faseye Odusola (Jamel Cherry)

      Introduction to Yoruba Religion Workshop
      Thursday, January  29, 2008
      6:30-7:45pm

      Interested in learning about the Yoruba Religion but don't know where to start? Attend this informative workshop covering such topics such as:

      Fundamentals of Yoruba Religion: Basic Tenents and Belief Systems
      Orisa: Sango, Oshun, Obatala, Oya, Osanyin, Eshu, Yemoja etc.
      Paths in the Orisa Religion: What are paths one can take in the Yoruba Religion?
      Divination: What are the different types of divination Systems.
      Orisa Denominations: What are the different types of Orisa denominations?
      Steps to Becoming an Orisa Worshipper

      The cost for this workshop will be $20 and will include handouts to be given to each attendee.

      Location:
      44 East 32nd Street. (bet. Park and Madison)
      Manhattan

      Directions:
      Take the 6 train to 33rd Street.  Exit at the 32nd street exit.

      Register online and receive a $5 discount by visiting here:
      http://www.eventsbot.com/events/eb111608565

      or

      Send an email with your name, number of tickets you are reserving and phone number to olosayin@... and pay $20 at the door.

      The Nine African Spiritual Powers:  The Major Orisha of the Yoruba Pantheon
      Friday, January 29, 2010
      8-9pm
      $20

      The Yoruba spiritual tradition is arguably the most widely practiced
      African tradition on earth, estimated with over 6 million adherents.
      The religion revolves around the appeasement of spiritual forces called orisha, considered intermediaries of God.  Explore the dynamic character and energy of nine of the most popular orisa in the Yoruba pantheon.   These include Obatala, Eshu, Oshun, Orunmila, Shango, Ogun, Yemoja,  Obaluaye and Osanyin.   In this workshop we will take a closer look into myths, legends, character and power of these forces.

       In this workshop you will learn about:

      Historical and mythological stories.
      Foods and offerings of the orisha.
      Natural habitat of the orisha.
      Characteristic of the orisha.
      Healing power of the orisha.
      Contrasts between orisha in Africa and Diaspora.

      Location
      TRS Professional Suites
      44 East 32nd Street, 11th Fl.
      New York, NY 10016

      Register online and receive a $5 discount by visiting here:
      http://www.eventsbot.com/events/eb231092687

      or

      Send an email with your name, number of tickets you are reserving and phone number to olosayin@... and pay $20 at the door.

      About the Presenter
      Sangobukunmi Fasheye Odushola also know as Jamel Cherry is a traditional Yoruba priest of Shango and Ifa.   He was initiated in Yorubaland into the Sango priesthood by the Elegun of Sango, Baba Sangodele Ibuowo.   He was also initiated as an Ifa priest by Baba Fakayode Faniyi and the Idin Ileke Ifa Temple.  He is currently a student under Baba Ifakayode Faniyi, the Agbongbon of Osogbo.  As a lifetime student and documentarian of African spirituality, divination, and healing, Sangobukunmi conducts workshops sharing some of the knowledge he has acquired on his journey.    He also leads the Ile Ori L’agba spiritual community.

      He is also a certified Holistic Health Counselor, Spiritual Life Coach, and third-degree Reiki Master.  He studied African holistic health and traditional African medicine with various healers and received his certification as an African healer in African Science and Healing by Dr. Kofi Asare, noted Ghanian healer and herbalist.  He also completed an Indigenious African Spiritual Technology apprenticeship under the direction of Malidoma Some, African Shaman and Phd scholar.   He studied holistic health and nutrition while receiving his certification as a Holistic Health Counselor at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, the largest nutrition school in the world.  He is a registered lifetime member of the American Association for Drugless Practitioners.   He is also a member of Siura Wellness, a collective of holistic health practitioners.  for Drugless Practitioners.

    • Babatu
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 13, 2010
        Boru, Boye Bochishe,

        Seems like you proceeded me in my desires to study in Nigeria to supplement my initiation into Ifa from Cuba. I am finishing up a masters degree paper on what is Ifa and Rites of Passage.

        Any chance we can exchange ideas??

        myspace/kwabenyahealinggrounds@...
        767 Patriots Way
        Harpers Ferry, WV.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 13, 2010
          Boru, Boye Bochishe,

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 14, 2010
            Aboru, Aboye Abosise,

            Agbo Ato,

            Good luck on your master's degree project. I know it is a lot of work. I am working on my masters as well. Sure you can email me privately and we can take it from there to exchange ideas. Email me at olosayin@....

            Sangobukumni

            --- In santeriareligionlucumi@yahoogroups.com, Babatu <Babaturudo@...> wrote:

            > Boru, Boye Bochishe,
            >
            > Seems like you proceeded me in my desires to study in Nigeria to supplement my initiation into Ifa from Cuba. I am finishing up a masters degree paper on what is Ifa and Rites of Passage.
            >
            > Any chance we can exchange ideas??
            >
            > myspace/kwabenyahealinggrounds@... Patriots WayHarpers Ferry, WV.

          • Victoria Paul
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 14, 2010
              Are there going to be anymore workshops, I am sorry I miss these, I ahve not been on Yahoo to much lately.

              Victoria

              myspace/kwabenyahea linggrounds@ gmail.com767 Patriots WayHarpers Ferry, WV.

              Thursday, January 29, 2008
              6:30-7:45pm

[...]

              Send an email with your name, number of tickets you are reserving and phone number to olosayin@hotmail. com and pay $20 at the door.

              The Nine African Spiritual Powers: The Major Orisha of the Yoruba Pantheon

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 14, 2010
                Peace,

                Have not been on line regularly, don't know whats happening.