Human Progress: Evidence Supports Health Benefits of 'Mindfulness-Based Practices'

  • Brave New Dawn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2013
      My dear brothers and sisters, in the challenges we face as to the origins
      of this universe and our journey within it, it is a certainty that we can
      boldly go forward in furthering human evolution for the wellbeing of all.
      What of the intuitional practices honed over thousands of years having
      furthered human evolution, what more can we do to reach greater thresholds
      of excellence into new gestalts as yet uncharted?

      Proper intuitional development with sincere conscientious efforts can not
      only morph us individually in a progressive manner, it can even work its
      way into our primal code for all of posterity. Such, indeed, is what has
      brought human progress forward. Such intuitional skills, such practices
      make for greater peace, within self, community, and the planet at large,
      and are a birthright to all ethical people of the world.

      Evidence Supports Health Benefits of 'Mindfulness-Based Practices'

      Posted By Blogger to Tantra
      Psychology<http://tantrapsychology.blogspot.com/2013/01/evidence-supports-health-benefits-of.html>

      Specific types of "mindfulness practices" including Zen meditation have
      demonstrated benefits for patients with certain physical and mental health
      problems, according to a report in the July Journal of Psychiatric
      Practice.

      "An extensive review of therapies that include meditation as a key
      component -- referred to as mindfulness-based practices -- shows convincing
      evidence that such interventions are effective in the treatment of
      psychiatric symptoms and pain, when used in combination with more
      conventional therapies," according to Dr William R. Marchand of the George
      E. Wahlen Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the University of Utah in
      Salt Lake City.

      Mindfulness Techniques Show Health Benefits Dr Marchand reviewed published
      studies evaluating the health benefits of mindfulness-based practices.
      Mindfulness has been described as "the practice of learning to focus
      attention on moment-by-moment experience with an attitude of curiosity,
      openness, and acceptance." Put another way, "Practicing mindfulness is
      simply experiencing the present moment, without trying to change anything."

      The review focused on three techniques:

      � Zen meditation, a Buddhist spiritual practice that involves the practice
      of developing mindfulness by meditation, typically focusing on awareness of
      breathing patterns.

      � Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR), a secular method of using
      Buddhist mindfulness, combining meditation with elements of yoga and
      education about stress and coping strategies.

      � Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT), which combines MBSR with
      principles of cognitive therapy (for example, recognizing and disengaging
      from negative thoughts) to prevent relapse of depression.

      Dr Marchand found evidence that MBSR and MBCT have "broad-spectrum" effects
      against depression and anxiety and can also decrease general psychological
      distress. Based on the evidence, MBCT can be "strongly recommended" as an
      addition to conventional treatments (adjunctive treatment) for unipolar
      depression. Both MBSR and MBCT were effective adjunctive treatments for
      anxiety.

      Research data also supported the effectiveness of MBSR to help reduce
      stress and promote general psychological health in patients with various
      medical and/or psychiatric illnesses. On its own, MBSR was helpful in
      managing stress and promoting general psychological health in healthy
      people. There was also evidence that Zen meditation and MBSR were useful
      adjunctive treatments for pain management.

      How do these practices work to affect mental and physical health? Dr
      Marchand discusses recent research showing the impact of mindfulness
      practices on brain function and structure, which may in part account for
      their psychological benefits. "These mindfulness practices show
      considerable promise and the available evidence indicates their use is
      currently warranted in a variety of clinical situations," he concludes.

      The article includes some proposed evidence-based guidelines for
      incorporating mindfulness-based practices into health care. So far there's
      little evidence on which patients are most likely to benefit, but Dr
      Marchand suggests that patient preferences and enthusiasm are a good guide.
      He comments, "The most important considerations may be desire to try a
      mindfulness-based practice and willingness to engage in the regular
      practice of seated meditation."

      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120711104811.htm

      *Do the mysteries of and about meditation, tantra, yoga, mindfulness,
      intuition, and consciousness seem, at times, to be more confusing than you
      can grasp?*

      http://bit.ly/MysticalPresentations3
      Instructor in tantra psychology, presenting rational articulation of
      intuitional science with cogent practical exercises bringing greater
      personal awareness and cultivation of subtler realms, imbuing new and
      meaningful talents into participants' lives. Explore further bringing such
      capabilities into your realm <http://bit.ly/m12zDZ>, both personal and at
      work.

      *Tantra Psychology <http://tantrapsychology.net/>*
      http://TantraPsychology.shows.it/ <http://tantrapsychology.shows.it/>

      http://bit.ly/MysticalPresentations3

      http://twitter/TantraPsych

      They are "educated" who have learned much, remembered much,
      and make use of their knowledge in everyday life.
      And of these lessons integrated into their life,
      moral conscience is the most imperative to learn
      and convey to others.
      Their virtues give true meaning to education.

      --
      Posted By Blogger to Tantra
      Psychology<http://tantrapsychology.blogspot.com/2013/01/evidence-supports-health-benefits-of.html>

      *Mysticism is a never-ending endeavour to conjugate *
      *the intercourse of the finite with the Infinite.*

      **