Re: [Santeria Online] (unknown)

  • Paul Silverio-Benet
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 1, 2002
      Very good point! The babalawos do not give birth to stones, as we the santeros. Have always wondered how that works.
      However, my godkids do receive the warriors via Babalawos, and all oggun/oshosi are given with a stone (ota). I use various babalawos and all of them place the ota.
      Good point, Italero, hopefully someone can clear that point.
      For example, Oddua, that is given by Babalawo, and I have not recieved this orisha yet, I have always wondered how they did this ceremony.
      Oddua, a path of Obatala, how are the caracoles & otas handled?
      Paul
      Omo Obatala
      Italero@... wrote:<PRE>then again I thought the babalawos weren't allowed to give birth to stones?
      or how does that go

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 10, 2003
        In a message dated 12/9/2003 9:20:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        idania1226@... writes:
        have a question my mom used to practice santeria when i was
        younger i used to see her mounted with anaisa and a some other
        santos i saw her walk on hot coals and other stuff since i can
        remember now she does not practice any more does not even like to
        talk about it. my father still practices the religion till this day
        he even knew what i was going to be before i was born and till this
        day everything he tells me i do not think twice about he is 99%
        accurate but my father and i never talk on the religion he only
        metions things when he sees something around me is wrong.But during
        my child hood i had scary experiances with spirits pulling my feet
        while i lay down seeing things and even now in my dreams its like
        they are trying to tell me things. So when i got pregnant with my
        son i walked into a botanica to get an asabache and met a santero he
        offered me a reading of caracloes free of charge so i took it.He
        told me i had obatala behind me watching over me.He blessed my
        asabache and i put it on and went home.A few hours later it broke so
        i went back and told him i needed a new one because it is broken. he
        said that some one was probably doing something to me so he told me
        to go buy a coconut so he can prepare something for me so he did
        still not charging me i put it under my bed like he said and he also
        prepared a cinta for my stomach and said yemaya will protect my
        pregnancy. That night i went to sleep and i had a dream that i was
        in a church siting down by myself and the doors from the church
        opened and in came a lady all dressed in white flew over banks of
        the church and sat down next to me. I woke up and the next day i
        went back to him and told him my dream he said that that was obatala
        saying that she is with me and i should light a candle and get her
        image and carry it with me, and i did.Everything went ok with my
        pregnancy i even asked the santero to hold the misa to baptis my son
        and he did.I still see things and feel things and have dreams that i
        know are trying to tell me something but i am to scared to really
        get into this i am scared of getting mounted and opening that door.
        But even though i dont practice santeria per say everything i ask
        for even if i dont light candles do rituals or anything like that
        usually is given to me. whatever is around me makes its presence
        known.and i defenatly know yemaya is one of them cause for some
        reason caracoles the color blue and thins to do with the sea are in
        my house in little detail i dont know if i do this subconciously but
        after a while i realize it i need advice on what to do maybe i am
        scared for lack of info or maybe i am traumatized from my younger
        days. What can i do to find my path?
        Idania,,, you can start by being less scared and more open to what you
        expierienced in the past. we all fear what we dont understand. Find yourself a good
        spirtualist and santero/a and just talk to them. Keep your mind open when you
        do , and also say prayers to your egun ( dead family ancestors ) to guide you.
        Good Luck. ..... odorosinmi

      • Ewetuga Ataré
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 11, 2003
          There is someone in Brooklyn who calls himself "Baba Joey" and who was
          initiated properly in the Lukumi way, went to Africa to pass to Ifa as a
          babalawo, but returned to the US and now shaves heads, reads with
          shells, reads ita and scratches people in Palo, even though he received
          jubilado after he had ocha. He is known to mix and match things and
          invent things and seems to have a following in Brooklyn. The wise
          should avoid him.
        • Julio
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 24, 2004
            Go to orishanet.org and follow the link to bembe records or you can go there directly.

            > From: "garciacv79" <garciacv79@...>
            > Date: 2004/09/24 Fri PM 04:03:56 EDT
            > To: santeriaonline@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [Santeria Online] (unknown)

          • Leslee
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 5, 2004
              www.batadrums.com/shop

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 5, 2004
                www/lucumi.com
                there are also a good selection new and used CD's on
                amazon.com
                Ochalobbi

                otra cosa- I know some of my own godchildren are out
                there only reading some of these post. Please this is
                a great place for you all to learn, and not only get
                my own view points on things, so please speak up and
                ask questions.....yeye

                --- Leslee <ladyleslee@...> wrote:

                > www.batadrums.com/shop

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/G3dslB/TM

                =====
                WIsdom is more about opening than about actually having answers. The truth will appear to the open soul. Only in the wisdom of humility do we truly see through our knowledge to the mirror beneath.

                http://vote.yahoo.com
              • osarete@canada.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 5, 2004
                  Ibború, Ibbóya, Ibboshishé.

                  Try

                  www.folkcuba.com

                  www.olofin.com

                  www.ashe.com
                • osarete@canada.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 5, 2004
                    Ibború, Ibbóya, Ibboshishé.

                    Try

                    www.folkcuba.com

                    www.olofin.com

                    www.ashe.com
                  • Jorge628@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 18, 2004
                      i dont think that would work as you intend it to. Without the orisha's ashe
                      you'll merely be honoring beads. for the elders on the list i apologize if
                      that's an incorrect answer but i'm sure i'm on the right path with it.

                      Jorge

                    • yemayakid@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 19, 2004
                        In a message dated 12/18/2004 11:16:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        christoph_gould@... writes:

                        I too am very green to the list and the religion. I am far far away in
                        Sydney Australia.

                        I was wondering if it would not offend any if it is possible to construct my
                        own necklaces to honour the Orisha. I understand that they go through
                        certain ritual. But being so far away, i am certain one day i would like to be
                        initiated - but it would in away make me feel more closer to the Orisha & Eleggua
                        that i seem to have a conection to.

                        hello to you chris... my advise would be don't do it,,,they would be
                        worthless beads ...if orisha is really your path.. ( idoubt if there are any
                        worshipers in australia ) you will need to relocate to the USA to find a house...
                        good luck my friend..... shirley yemaya

                      • Chris
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 21, 2004
                          > if orisha is really your path.. ( idoubt if there are any
                          > worshipers in australia ) you will need to relocate to the USA to
                          find a house...

                          Ashe.

                          Just so we don't totally dash his hopes. . .

                          There is no need to move to the USA. Aborisha are all over the
                          world. While it is very big in some metro areas of the US, it is
                          also big in many other places. I mean, if there's a babalawo in
                          Switzerland. . . .:)

                          I am not aware of any aborisha in Australia but I do know of a
                          couple salsa groups there. Now, while salsa and orisha do not go
                          hand in hand. . .. It's funny how musicians seem to have a
                          disproportionately high number of aborisha among them. I guess they
                          are two parts of the culture.

                          Anyway, what I'm saying is if you have people interested enough in
                          Cuban culture to learn how to play salsa music, you may be able to
                          find someone who also practices orisha worship. And while some
                          initations take many priests to perform (making it more difficult to
                          do them), getting your elekes, Elegua, and Warriors doesn't need
                          more than just one priest (as far as I know).

                          Curtis
                        • fireblaze1900
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 1, 2008
                            You can also check out http://www.mysanteria.com

                          • cinis7@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 7, 2008
                              iyabo in the old days all men used to use shea butter or cocoabutter i know
                              is hard but that's the way.tried to used castille soap or cocoabutter soap and
                              used the old fashion way to rasor your face not the electric razor maybe it
                              will work for you. good luck