Re: My views of the new Santeria.

  • alorde64
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 8:14 AM
      Greetings , Yes nuch has change in the religion and also the peopl
      ethat are in the religion. But changes is something that has to come.
      The problem is what is postive changes and what is negative. There
      have been many changes in the cost of iniations here in the U.S. the
      cost os supplies needed are getting higher and higer so this has to
      figured into the price . The Oriate's are asking for more . The cost
      of the animals are higher. The only thing that has not change much is
      what th epriest that come to work is paid . I don't think that anyone
      should overcharge but there has to be a charge for iniation. What you
      learn has nothing to do with what you pay for your rituals and
      iniation it is two different things If you are looking for Godparent
      based on what there charges are you are making a terrible mistake .
      While it is something to consider it should not be the top piority.
      We are not slave any longer and we can practice our religion in
      the open now . The roots of the religion is from Nigeria many people
      do not reconize this they do not want to accept that the religion is
      a tradtional Africian Religion. While the catholic Saints where used
      the orisha are not the saints and the religion is not catholic .

      --- In santeriaonline@y..., sevenafricanpowers7 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Peace and Blessings:
      >
      > I agree with you on the money thing. Now a days people are into it
      > for the money. At the moment i am looking for godparents and it
      been
      > hard for me to find them. Because everyone i meet is asking for to
      > MUCH MONEY! And i really want to learn but its being hard to get
      > godparents to guide me. For me i think we should push more of the
      > Yoruba roots then Catholic ones. Like you said this is a Nigerian
      > religion and i think we need to keep those roots because thats
      where
      > it comes from.
      >

      > --- In santeriaonline@y..., omoesu16 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Alafia,
      > >
      > > I would like to share my views of what i've seen of Santeria of
      > the
      > > newer generations of Santeria. My familly has been in santeria
      > since
      > > the first slaves were brought to Cuba from Nigeria. Since then,
      > this
      > > religion has changed alot. I have seen that they changed some
      names
      > > of the Ceremonies, and that people have gone to into money.
      > > Everything now is expensive. People are gettin into this religion
      > now
      > > for the Magick and not the belief. Some of the new Santeros get
      > into
      > > this relgion without much knowledge of the Yoruba or of the
      > history.
      > > I was onced asked why should we use holy water and follow the
      > > Catholic Church. I told that person, it is because the religion's
      > > roots are not only of the Yoruba but also of the Catholic
      > > Saints.That's why it is Called Santeria, The way of the Sanits.
      If
      > > you take away the Catholic beliefs of A Santero, Their name will
      no
      > > longer be Santero, they will be only Priests of Gods and not of
      > > Orishas or santos. The older generation of this religion is
      dieing
      > > out. We must pass the original and oure religion on to our
      children
      > > so the old traditions will be kept, and we must not forget the
      > Yoruba
      > > , or the Catholic roots. I would like to hear other comments on
      > this.
      > > Thank you.
      > >
      > > Ache,
      > > Omo
    • carresq73
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 14 8:14 PM
        This has been a topic of "heated" discussion throughout the entire
        internet. Yes, the religion has undergone significant changes over
        here in the Diaspora over the years.. It has undergone significant
        ritual changes and of course, the economics.

        If you are looking for a godparent, what he or she charges for their
        services is a factor that should be considered. However, it should
        not be the only factor. The individual's character is the most
        important issue to consider b/c the money issue always goes back to
        the individual's ethics.

        Yes, the root of our religion comes from Nigeria. Yet, in spite of
        this fact, many practioners of this religion refuse to accept this as
        true or they refuse to open themselves to learning how the religion
        is practiced in Yorubaland. Moreover, many refuse to reassess some of
        our misconceptions about the Orisa in the diaspora (i.e. one example
        is the fact that Oshun is considered the Orisa of "sex" or
        promiscuity. She is not viewed in such a manner among the indigenous
        Yoruba)

        The fact of the matter is, we have serious problem with respect to
        the economics of this religion. Since we have no means as of this
        time to regulate our religion, the problem will continue to
        perpetuate. The best means to deal with this, however, is to do your
        homework on the religion!!! Read books..do research. There is plenty
        of information out there. Don't listen to people that say that you
        don't learn this religion from books. Of course you learn from
        books. Its an effective suplemental tool to your learning.

        Familiarize yourself with the religion and get to know different
        people. Do not rush to find a godparent. With time, you'll find
        someone who is ethical and who is not in this for the money. Also,
        consider going outside the U.S. for your iniation if that is what you
        chose to do. Moreover, think about why you want to get initiated..
        Ask yourself, "why do I want to get initiated?" Don't get initiated
        for the title.. ITS NOT WORTH IT. If you manage to get your own
        personal ego in check, then you'll eventually find what you are
        looking for in this religion.

        Chris

      • fithgenwitch
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 22 8:41 AM
          --- In santeriaonline@y..., omoesu16 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > Alafia,
          >
          > I would like to share my views of what i've seen of Santeria of
          the
          > newer generations of Santeria. My familly has been in santeria
          since
          > the first slaves were brought to Cuba from Nigeria. Since then,
          this
          > religion has changed alot. I have seen that they changed some names
          > of the Ceremonies, and that people have gone to into money.
          > Everything now is expensive. People are gettin into this religion
          now
          > for the Magick and not the belief. Some of the new Santeros get
          into
          > this relgion without much knowledge of the Yoruba or of the
          history.
          > I was onced asked why should we use holy water and follow the
          > Catholic Church. I told that person, it is because the religion's
          > roots are not only of the Yoruba but also of the Catholic
          > Saints.That's why it is Called Santeria, The way of the Sanits. If
          > you take away the Catholic beliefs of A Santero, Their name will no
          > longer be Santero, they will be only Priests of Gods and not of
          > Orishas or santos. The older generation of this religion is dieing
          > out. We must pass the original and oure religion on to our children
          > so the old traditions will be kept, and we must not forget the
          Yoruba
          > , or the Catholic roots. I would like to hear other comments on
          this.
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Ache,
          > Omo

          you may look at it as dying out.
          to an African a true African living in Yoruba...they will tell you
          even in the "old" days it was changed.
          much like spanish...what Latino speaks true spanish?
          yet our grandparents complain that the spanish spoken today is a
          bastard version not knowing they spoke a bastard version themselves.
          and think of it like this..some items use in Santeria..a cigar...rum..
          "florida water"...do you really think Yoruba people used them?
          not in the old days and not now.