Stories, Questions and Eleggua

  • Myst
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
      I am curious by nature, always have been. First words were 'Whats
      that?' :) So I have a few questions for you all.

      I love stories. Can some of you share how you came to the path of
      Santeria? Maybe even some stories about your experiences?

      Also, do you all have any suggestions on how a non-initiate could begin
      practicing alone until I cross paths with a teacher? I was thinking of
      constructing an altar for Eleggua. I pray and talk to Elegua all the
      time and I have grown very fond of him. :) I want to do something
      nice for him, in his honor. Any advice?

      All advice is apprechiated. I am very new to all of this and look
      foreward to the challenges ahead. Thank you!!

      Blessings to all,

      Brooke
    • Jose Quinones
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
        Hi Brooke,
        My name is Jose Quinones and I have always been apart of this faith. Even though I am only 21 years old, I will tell you about three of my experiences through my youth that will leave the largest impression on me for the rest of my life.

        When I was about three years old I knew and understood that my Dad, whom is a Babalawo, "healed" people. One evening a man came to our house, mexican, long black hair, he also had long finger nails, came to our home. I remember this man come to our house becuase he needed to come in through the back enterance. The reason was that he was in a wheel chair. He came everyday for about one week or so. On the last day I saw this same man walk out of my house after Doctors had said he could never walk again. When I saw my father do that I said to myself and in a way vowed that I would become what he was.

        At the age of four, my brother committed suicide. He had his santo done about four months prior to his death and I had already six months into my initiation. When I was at the wake, I saw him dressed in his middle day clothing, as every santero/a should wear when they die. I felt his face, as I had always done because his face was rough due to acne when he was younger. I ask everyone around me why is he so cold? No one would answer, they would all turn away to hide the tears. This experience taught me that during the first year, a newly made santero/a would go through the greatest trials and tribulations from above to prove themselves. Sadly, my brother did not succeed.

        Finally, at the age of four I was told that I would have to become a Babalawo by the age of seven. I didn't remember anything they told me when I was four. But when I was seven years old, my parents decided that they would wait for me to tell them I wanted to take such a big step. During my seventh year of life I had a dream, where Orunmila told me that I would need to recieve some items, which he should me. The next morning I told my father, he was stunned at what I described. Many of the things were impossible for me to have seen before becuase they do not exist outside the room of Ifa. He later told me come down stairs choose which of these things you saw. He should me regualar items that are able to be known by the public and some where there just to test me. But I then chose some of the exact items that I saw in my dream. At the age of ten I decided to due my initiation into Ifa. And those exact items I chose he kept for me to use. So I can say that what Orunmila
        should me I needed I have exactly. And finally for the icing on the cake, I came up with the highest sign in Ifa Baba Eyiogbe, simply stating that I was born to do what I am doing. This expericence shows me that one has a destiny while you can up it off for a while it will always catch up with you.

        For elegua you don't need an altar. All you have to do is every once in a while take some food and candy to the street in front of your home and leave it there. He will always come and find it. Also, leave some candy at the four corners. Since you are an aleyo "non-initiate" an altar will not be your lets say "connection" to the internet. But going to the main port and tapping in there will get you the "connection" you need.

        Blessings,
        Jose Baba Eyiogbe Quinones

        Myst <Mystwict@...> wrote:
        I am curious by nature, always have been. First words were 'Whats
        that?' :) So I have a few questions for you all.

        I love stories. Can some of you share how you came to the path of
        Santeria? Maybe even some stories about your experiences?

        Also, do you all have any suggestions on how a non-initiate could begin
        practicing alone until I cross paths with a teacher? I was thinking of
        constructing an altar for Eleggua. I pray and talk to Elegua all the
        time and I have grown very fond of him. :) I want to do something
        nice for him, in his honor. Any advice?

        All advice is apprechiated. I am very new to all of this and look
        foreward to the challenges ahead. Thank you!!

        Blessings to all,

        Brooke

        Different religions beliefs Santeria religion Santeria Beliefs Spiritualism Religion

      • Jorge Rivera
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
          Ache con bendiciones a todos.
          Brooke, I recommend you find a teacher asap. Although I'm sure the
          Orisha(s) appreciate your company, you may stir something up that may
          backfire on you. Notice how much I say the word "may". If you feel it
          strongly within, then hey...
          I recommend you find a teacher and get your guerreros (warriors) asap.
          Then you will be able to truly work with Eleguá, Oggun, Ochosi and Ozun.
          Let me tell you that you never really can know what its like until you
          go through the ceremony where you receive them.
          And working with them afterwards... Wow!!
          You'll know what I mean once you set this in motion (you will be asked
          to do certain things that will feel right), I promise.
          Ache

          --
          Sent from my personal pda
          Jorge M. Rivera
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
            In a message dated 9/2/2005 11:46:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            Mystwict@... writes:

            I was thinking of
            constructing an altar for Eleggua. I pray

            do you have elegua ???? shirley

          • Mystwict@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
              Jose.....Thank you for sharing such wonderful stories. At such a young age
              experiencing those things must have been amazing, maybe even confusing. But the
              way you described everything, sounds as though you were meant to do this and
              you most likely felt right at home. The story about your brother is very
              moving and sad. I hope he is at peace and better yet, has been reborn to try
              again.

              Thank you also for your advice regarding eleggua and how to do something in
              his honor. Since I am a non-initaite I would not want to do any sort of ritual
              or construct any sort of altar I did not fully understand the reasoning
              behind.

              Jriviera.....thank you also for your response. I would love to find a
              teacher asap, but it is not very easy out here in chicago. I would not even know
              where to begin looking. I believe one day I will cross paths with some one who
              will be the teacher I seek, until then, I will seize the day and pray.

              Shirley....no, I have not received the warriors or eleggua as I said in my
              initial post, I am a non-initiate. I have not met any other practitioners in my
              area, but trust me, I would love to. This forum has been very kind and
              helpful to me and I apprechaite everyone's responses.

              Blessings to all,

              Brooke

              PS....I would love to hear more stories!!

            • Jose Quinones
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
                Well Brooke. I didn't know you were in chicago. I am located here in chicago on the northside. E-mail me and we can be in contact. If anything to meet and answer some more questions one on one in person.

                Blessings,
                Jose Baba Eyiogbe Quinones

                Mystwict@... wrote:
[...]

              • Jorge Ocasio