    Apr 12, 2014
      I would leave that frame in the hive.  Let the bees keep that frame of honey.  Maybe you can move it closer to the rest of the broodnest in one of the lower boxes?  And if you’re concerned about the bees putting more brood in your honey boxes, you could use a queen excluded between the brood boxes and the honey boxes.

      Allison

      On 12Apr, 2014, at 12:54, bettybrinck@... wrote:

      I was pulling honey frames from my 4th box up.  There was no pollen up there, but I know there is plenty in the hive because of what I see coming in.  I did not get down to the brood box to examine it, but I am not too concerned about loosing some capped brood because they would have swarmed.   I still don't know how handle a frame of honey that has some capped brood on it.  Ideas please.

      From: kevinmcelhinny@...
      To: santacruzbees@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:30:46 AM
      Subj ect: [santacruzbees] Re: brood in the honey frames

      The answer is definitely yes, depending. As a rule of thumb you you are better off not disturbing the brood "ball" pattern in a hive. It's hard to say who's in charge in a hive but the brood pattern is typically surrounded by a few inches of pollen storage and then honey. This food storage forms a border that the queen typically doesn't cross. That said hive manipulation can have one checkerboarding in order to create space on honey bound hives etc. Traditionally the brood was in two deep boxes that weren't messed with and honey was "supered" in mediums above. Adapting that to current times there is little reason to disturb the brood area and only remove honey from the second super above these boxes. Yes that leaves a full super of honey on top of the broo d that doesn't get taken.
      And to pull capped brood is to kill capped brood unless reboxed with attendant nurse bees.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic