New to group have questions about recently bought 168 gallon setup

  • Kat
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2005
      Hi I just got a 168 gallon tank *or so the tank conversion web site
      says by measurements* Someone bought a house and the tank was left
      in it. It HAD live rock in it, which I'm assuming is now all dead
      after it not running for 2 months? I only have a 25g salt LRWF
      setup right now so this is a HUGE step for me, but got it at an
      unbeatable price. Questions I have, with this in mind I want to make
      this a reef setup

      1) Should I buy a reverse osmosis system before even filling the
      tank? I don't plan on any corals for at least six months, but didn't
      know if starting off with tap water with additives would be
      detrimental down the road?

      2) do I cure this now I'm sure UNLIVE rock outside of the tank or in
      it? I doubt anything on it is still alive but maybe? I wanted to
      seed it with some of my LR from my other set up but didn't want to
      kill my own rock in the process

      3) How do I clean this thing? Its a mess of grime after being let
      set for 2 months it stinks and is just nasty...

      Any suggestions appreciated ! Thanks for letting me be in the group

      Kat