Re: [Saltwater Fish Tanks SFT] ich

  • Chip Griewahn
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
      --- amac256 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > i have a twenty gallon high for some reason ikeep
      > getting ich and i
      > just can't get rid of it --- its a saltwater tank
      > and i don't want
      > to use copper any ideas before i start from scratch
      > ---
      > sorry no info

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • ask maytell
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 13, 2002
        I bet its your filter system. When fish get stressed
        out from NH3 (ammonia), NO2 (Nitrite), and NO3
        (nitrate) the fish get stressed out. There are two
        things you can do 1) invest in a wet/dry filter, you
        can buy them online at pet warehouse . com...... I've
        been keeping saltwater fish for over ten years and
        trust me, if your not willing to do this it is most
        likely a good idea you not keep saltwater fish. The
        next thing you must do is to do 20% monthly water
        changes.....
        Another thing is that saltwater ich can only live
        in saltwater, if you have a fish only tank, (no
        invertebrates) adjust your specific gravity (salt
        concentration) to 1.017 ppm. The fish stay alive and
        the invertabrates (ich parasites) are greater
        stressed. This helps a lot with your fishes ability
        to fight off ich.

        --- Chip Griewahn <c_griewahn@...> wrote:

        > --- amac256 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > > i have a twenty gallon high for some reason ikeep
        > > getting ich and i
        > > just can't get rid of it --- its a saltwater tank
        > > and i don't want
        > > to use copper any ideas before i start from
        > scratch
        > > ---
        > > sorry no info

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • Susan Weishaar
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 13, 2002
          Well, I certainly have not been in this hobby for ten
          years but I think that there is another way of looking
          at this :) Supposedly, all marine fish have ick,
          always. But usually their immune system suppresses the
          ich. So, if you keep having problems, then its likely
          that something is stressing them out too much so that
          they can no longer hold back the ick.

          What are your levels like as far as ammonia, nitrite,
          nitrate, etc? It may be that your parameters are out
          of whack and that is stressing them. A better filter
          system may be needed (although I would look at all the
          different options, some people are arguing that wet /
          dry is no longer the way to go)

          How many fish do you have? Is your tank overcrowded?
          That would certainly stress the fish out. Are only
          some of the fish getting ich?

          Also, dropping the salinity may work. However, even if
          it doesn't kill the fish, it will stress them out.
          Going back to the original point, that actually makes
          the ich worse in the long run. You might try feeding
          food soaked in garlic oil. There is no hard proof that
          this works but I've seen lots of people swearing by it.
          Also, this method doesn't hurt the fish in any way
          even if you don't have much luck with it (just makes
          the tank slightly stinky) :)

          So, short term, try the garlic or move them to a Q-Tank
          to treat with copper. Long term, you need to find out
          what is causing the ick and address that problem.

          Oh, one more hint, move away from this group :) As you
          can tell, there is not very many members at all. Yahoo
          has another - Saltwater Fish and Aquariums, that have a
          lot more members, some of them really really great
          helpers! :)

          Susan

          PeoplePC: It's for people. And it's just smart.
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • prajwolm
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 13, 2003
            Somehow the fishes I have keep on getting ich. I have a tang,
            grouper, some damsels, clowns and some anemones and live rocks....

            I got this herbal medicine from the petstore...the thing is that,
            when I use this medicine, ich seems to go away, however, in a day or
            two, I see the white spots again...

            any clue what is going on...I had the water tested at the pet
            store...they said everything is fine...
          • Jeremy Houghton
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 13, 2003
              How large is your tank? Even though your water quality is okay, the most likely reason is that you have it over stocked. This would cause stress on the fish, and stress leads to ich.

              prajwolm <prajwolm@...> wrote:
              Somehow the fishes I have keep on getting ich. I have a tang,
              grouper, some damsels, clowns and some anemones and live rocks....

              I got this herbal medicine from the petstore...the thing is that,
              when I use this medicine, ich seems to go away, however, in a day or
              two, I see the white spots again...

              any clue what is going on...I had the water tested at the pet
              store...they said everything is fine...

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Izzy

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 14, 2003
                  I have a 75 gallon tank...I just have 8 fish in it.

                  --- In saltwaterfishtankssft@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Houghton
                  <redgraccoon@y...> wrote:
                  > How large is your tank? Even though your water quality is okay,
                  the most likely reason is that you have it over stocked. This would
                  cause stress on the fish, and stress leads to ich.

                  > prajwolm <prajwolm@y...> wrote:
                  > Somehow the fishes I have keep on getting ich. I have a tang,
                  > grouper, some damsels, clowns and some anemones and live rocks....
                  >
                  > I got this herbal medicine from the petstore...the thing is that,
                  > when I use this medicine, ich seems to go away, however, in a day
                  or
                  > two, I see the white spots again...
                  >
                  > any clue what is going on...I had the water tested at the pet
                  > store...they said everything is fine...
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Service.

                • Jeremy Houghton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 14, 2003
                    I'm by no means an expert, but I would have to say you have too much in your tank. The issue is not that you have only 8 fish, but that what you have, all can grow to some good sizes - especially the grouper. The tang also can get to a large size, but tangs also seem to have an above average tendency for acquiring and spreading ich when stressed.

                    Depending on where you do your research, you'll probably hear different rules of thumb for "how much fish" you can put in a tank. For saltwater, I've seen the range go from 1 inch of fish per 3 gallons, to 1 inch of fish per 8 gallons. (based upon fish at their adult sizes). Also, having an anemone in your tank will also need to be factored into your tank's bio-capacity as well.

                    If you haven't already - I'd recommend checking out www.reefcentral.com, where I think you'll find a lot more information on how to address your situation.

                    Hope that helps.

                    <redgraccoon@y...> wrote:
                    > How large is your tank? Even though your water quality is okay,
                    the most likely reason is that you have it over stocked. This would
                    cause stress on the fish, and stress leads to ich.

                    > prajwolm <prajwolm@y...> wrote:
                    > Somehow the fishes I have keep on getting ich. I have a tang,
                    > grouper, some damsels, clowns and some anemones and live rocks....
                    >
                    > I got this herbal medicine from the petstore...the thing is that,
                    > when I use this medicine, ich seems to go away, however, in a day
                    or
                    > two, I see the white spots again...
                    >
                    > any clue what is going on...I had the water tested at the pet
                    > store...they said everything is fine...
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Service.

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • chicothemagicstick
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 29, 2006
                      hello, i'm new & i have my 1st ich problem. i have a new fish in my
                      quarentine tank that has ich. it is on it's fins for about 3 days or
                      so now & his eating has decreased & he's hanging out by the filter.
                      i've been treating the tank w/ich medicine for 3 days now. is there
                      any chance i'm gonna save my new friend. any advice or comments?

                      thanks,

                      wes
                    • milomlo
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 30, 2006
                        --- In saltwaterfishtankssft@yahoogroups.com, "chicothemagicstick"
                        <thegame_1423@...> wrote:

                        > hello, i'm new & i have my 1st ich problem. i have a new fish in my
                        > quarentine tank that has ich. it is on it's fins for about 3 days
                        or
                        > so now & his eating has decreased & he's hanging out by the filter.
                        > i've been treating the tank w/ich medicine for 3 days now. is there
                        > any chance i'm gonna save my new friend. any advice or comments?
                        >
                        > thanks,
                        >
                        > wes

                        You could try doing a hypo treatment.
                        NOTE: This procedure can not be performed in an environment
                        containing live rock, live sand or inverts [including crabs, snails,
                        corals, etc.] If you have a strictly Fish-Only setup, then the
                        treatment can be done within the display, otherwise, you will need to
                        treat infected fish in a quarantine/hospital tank.

                        You will need: Refractometer or a glass hydrometer calibrated to tank
                        temperatures, pH buffers, a tank or quarantine area for the infected
                        fish that is adequately filtered.

                        Hyposalinity is a procedure involving lowering the salinity from
                        normal tank levels to 14 ppt (1.009 Specific Gravity) over the course
                        of 48 hours. This is done by doing a series of small water changes
                        using fresh dechlorinated water. During the procedure, pH must be
                        closely monitored as pH tends to drop as water become less saline.
                        Fish are maintained in hyposaline conditions for three weeks after
                        all symptoms are gone. Again, accurate measuring is essential, and
                        the standard swing arm hydrometers are not going to work. A
                        refractometer or large glass lab grade hydrometer calibrated to tank
                        temperatures is needed. Once the fish have been asymptotic for three
                        weeks, the salinity is then raised back to display tank levels over
                        the course of a week. Fish can not tolerate rapid increases in
                        salinity. Leave the fish in quarantine at display tank levels for
                        another week.

                        Your display will now have been fishless for at least four weeks,
                        sufficient time to allow the parasite's life cycle to be interrupted.
                        Crypto is an obligate parasite that requires a fish host. No fish=No
                        host=No parasite. Ich is a fish-only parasite, it will not affect
                        inverts.

                        Continue to monitor pH daily during the process and be prepared with
                        buffers to address any pH problems. Also keep the water clean through
                        proper filtration.