Re: hi all!

  • babytar24
    Message 1 of 122 , Jun 4, 2001
      my tank is only six mos old ,i have four fish in
      there and their doing great! my reading is .25 and iv
      had it ever secne i started the tank!even with no
      fish in the tank im getting the same reading!i dont
      know what to do?all my other test kits are reading
      right al but the amona?i dont get it!
    • dman7569
      Message 122 of 122 , Apr 20, 2002
        --- In saltwaterandreefaquariums@y..., shonholmes wrote:
        > ive had fresh water fish for years with much
        > success. I just started into saltwater on 9-11-01.<br>I
        > have a 29 gallon tank with a standard penguin charcoal
        > type filter.<br>The folks at the pet club gave me
        > initial startup info with regards to the bio sand,
        > instant ocean and other information. I introduced live
        > rock and fish, i had a yelllow tang , a puffer, 3
        > damsels and a clown. All went well till 2 weeks ago when
        > in a 6 day period all fish died. I had the water
        > checked by the pet club people and they said water was
        > fine...they were at a loss and still are. Im thinking when i
        > topped off the water i didnt do ot right.<br>Any way im
        > new to salt water and need a basic cliff notes
        > education. What a protein skimmer? whats a dry type filter?
        > whats a reef tank. If someone can answer some basic
        > unclesalty@m...

        If all your fish died, was the puffer stressed at all? Puffers
        release a highly toxic solution when stressed or threatened. If the
        toxins are released it can kill all of it's tank mates and there will
        be no trace of the toxins in the water by testing it. I lost two
        tanks that way by having porcupine puffers in them. Hope this helps.

        Protien skimmers remove the waste products from corals out of your
        tank.