Need help with identification

  • wvpepsi2001
    Message 1 of 122 , May 21 7:48 PM
      Hi everybody,<br> I just signed up for this club.
      Great idea. My problem is I have a 75 gal fish only
      with live rock tank. I do have the various things
      living on the rock, like feather dusters, tube worms,
      and flowering coral, and button polps. I have a
      seaclone skimmer, and regular lighting and two extra
      actinic lights. I have a hang on the back Marineland 400
      filter with biowheels and a smaller filter (once used
      for a 30 gal). I have these little white things on my
      glass. They are like a pinwheel and may have 'feathers'
      coming out of one end. The 'feathers' are very hard to
      see even with a magnifing glass. Could this be baby
      tube worms? That is sort of what they look like. Do I
      clean them off or leave them alone? These things are on
      some of the rock too. This tank was set up in Nov. of
      2000 with water from a 30 gal tank established tank
      and starter bacteria and 35 lbs live rock. I only
      have a yellow tang, blue regal tang, 1 percula & 1
      yellow clown and 1 pink skunk clown fish, various snails
      and crabs in this tank. <br> My ph, nitrate, nitrite
      and ammonia levels are all ok. <br> Anyone know what
      is on my glass? Thanks for any clues.<br>wvpepsi
    • dman7569
      Message 122 of 122 , Apr 20, 2002
        --- In saltwaterandreefaquariums@y..., shonholmes wrote:
        > ive had fresh water fish for years with much
        > success. I just started into saltwater on 9-11-01.<br>I
        > have a 29 gallon tank with a standard penguin charcoal
        > type filter.<br>The folks at the pet club gave me
        > initial startup info with regards to the bio sand,
        > instant ocean and other information. I introduced live
        > rock and fish, i had a yelllow tang , a puffer, 3
        > damsels and a clown. All went well till 2 weeks ago when
        > in a 6 day period all fish died. I had the water
        > checked by the pet club people and they said water was
        > fine...they were at a loss and still are. Im thinking when i
        > topped off the water i didnt do ot right.<br>Any way im
        > new to salt water and need a basic cliff notes
        > education. What a protein skimmer? whats a dry type filter?
        > whats a reef tank. If someone can answer some basic
        > unclesalty@m...

        If all your fish died, was the puffer stressed at all? Puffers
        release a highly toxic solution when stressed or threatened. If the
        toxins are released it can kill all of it's tank mates and there will
        be no trace of the toxins in the water by testing it. I lost two
        tanks that way by having porcupine puffers in them. Hope this helps.

        Protien skimmers remove the waste products from corals out of your
        tank.