meaningful discourse

  • IN_DKNY
    Message 1 of 128 , Sep 25, 2000
      liquidmice,<br>We just finished Midnight's
      Children and are now discussing The Moor's Last Sigh. Two
      very different books altogether. Today is our first
      lecture on it so I will have questions and commentary as
      things are discussed. Thanks for starting such an
      important club. Somewhere some meanigful discourse may
      occur.
    • snow_beltreallydeep
      Message 128 of 128 , Jan 9, 2002
        I will keep my eyes open for your suggested
        title. With the controversy over The Satanic Verses we
        heard that Christianity hasn't been maligned in novels,
        and if it were, Christians would be very vocal in
        by Timothey Findlay is quite the version of Noah's
        Ark, and although I'm not a Christian, I kept glancing
        over my shoulder, on the look out for lightening bolts
        all the time I was reading it. (It is a brilliant
        book.)<br><br>I'm reading a John Updike novel now, "Toward the End
        of Time", seemingly written around the same time as
        The Satanic Verses, although the copyright date is
        1997. Updike's main character also moves through time,
        and becomes a main character in Biblical stories.
        Updike's work has a theological approach as well, and he
        finished it yet, but I wonder if anyone else in this
        discussion group has read it, and seen a similarity.
        works?