Valley of the Dolls: Yo dirkdiggler...

  • liquidmice
    Message 1 of 128 , Aug 3, 2001
      Just started reading my ARC copy of FURY. Funny
      thing, one of the characters, Dubdub (a rather oddly
      brilliant Cambridge graduate,) is talking about becoming an
      author "Like Kafka perhaps...in the rat hole.
      Construction of a machine without a purpose. Fury. That sort
      of thing" he says. "Or alternatively," Dubdub
      pondered, "one could go in for more commercial stuff.
      Valley of the Dollybirds. Or there's the happy medium,
      halfway between the highbrow and the dross. Most people
      are middlebrow..." <br><br>I thought it was funny
      that Rushdie mentioned the book. The only reason I
      knew what he was talking about was because of your
      post. Just thought I'd pass it on.
    • snow_beltreallydeep
      Message 128 of 128 , Jan 9, 2002
        I will keep my eyes open for your suggested
        title. With the controversy over The Satanic Verses we
        heard that Christianity hasn't been maligned in novels,
        and if it were, Christians would be very vocal in
        by Timothey Findlay is quite the version of Noah's
        Ark, and although I'm not a Christian, I kept glancing
        over my shoulder, on the look out for lightening bolts
        all the time I was reading it. (It is a brilliant
        book.)<br><br>I'm reading a John Updike novel now, "Toward the End
        of Time", seemingly written around the same time as
        The Satanic Verses, although the copyright date is
        1997. Updike's main character also moves through time,
        and becomes a main character in Biblical stories.
        Updike's work has a theological approach as well, and he
        finished it yet, but I wonder if anyone else in this
        discussion group has read it, and seen a similarity.
        works?