Fury

  • matthulgan2
    Message 1 of 128 , Jul 3, 2001
      I got my copy of Fury in the mail last night and
      I'm only about 40 pages into it so I only have a
      limited impression so far. It seems like Salman has taken
      a few cues from Douglas Coupland. The first two
      chapters are deal with some very recent political events
      and occurrences. It's amazing that I have a copy of a
      novel that was obviously written only about 10 months
      ago. I'm very excited to get into the story. I don't
      want to ruin anything for those of you who have the
      patience to wait till September however I'd be glad to
      give more info as I read if you're interested in such
      info. I just don't want to give too much information so
      as to rob you of the full experience.
    • snow_beltreallydeep
      Message 128 of 128 , Jan 9, 2002
        I will keep my eyes open for your suggested
        title. With the controversy over The Satanic Verses we
        heard that Christianity hasn't been maligned in novels,
        and if it were, Christians would be very vocal in
        by Timothey Findlay is quite the version of Noah's
        Ark, and although I'm not a Christian, I kept glancing
        over my shoulder, on the look out for lightening bolts
        all the time I was reading it. (It is a brilliant
        book.)<br><br>I'm reading a John Updike novel now, "Toward the End
        of Time", seemingly written around the same time as
        The Satanic Verses, although the copyright date is
        1997. Updike's main character also moves through time,
        and becomes a main character in Biblical stories.
        Updike's work has a theological approach as well, and he
        finished it yet, but I wonder if anyone else in this
        discussion group has read it, and seen a similarity.
        works?