Midnight's Children: Saleem Sinai's NOSE

  • liquidmice
    Message 1 of 128 , Sep 19, 2000
      Can anyone help to explain the significance of
      the Narrator's huge, mystical nose? I'm still early
      in the book but I have read it before and know the
      attention given to the boy's big nose! While pondering the
      significance of the scent organ, I had an interesting thought.
      Could the nose be a symbol, a metaphor likening Saleem
      to the god Ganesh? The nose, after all, is the
      source of Saleem's power. The book also opens with
      Saleem feverishly writing, attempting to finish his
      story before his impending doom. I know that Ganesh is
      often described as a fervent writer who once, in a
      passionate writing frenzy, broke off one of his tusks for
      use as a pen. But, alas, that is about all I know
      about Lord Ganesha. Any ideas on this (perhaps off
      base) thought? Any other similarities between Ganesh
      and Saleem? Anyone a Ganesh expert? Perhaps I'm being
    • snow_beltreallydeep
      Message 128 of 128 , Jan 9, 2002
        I will keep my eyes open for your suggested
        title. With the controversy over The Satanic Verses we
        heard that Christianity hasn't been maligned in novels,
        and if it were, Christians would be very vocal in
        by Timothey Findlay is quite the version of Noah's
        Ark, and although I'm not a Christian, I kept glancing
        over my shoulder, on the look out for lightening bolts
        all the time I was reading it. (It is a brilliant
        book.)<br><br>I'm reading a John Updike novel now, "Toward the End
        of Time", seemingly written around the same time as
        The Satanic Verses, although the copyright date is
        1997. Updike's main character also moves through time,
        and becomes a main character in Biblical stories.
        Updike's work has a theological approach as well, and he
        finished it yet, but I wonder if anyone else in this
        discussion group has read it, and seen a similarity.
        works?