Merry X-mas

  • liquidmice
    Message 1 of 128 , Dec 26, 2000
      Since there have been no posts of late, I'll just
      chime in with something inane... Guess what I got for
      christmas? A mint, signed, FIRST UK edition of "The Ground
      Beneath Her Feet." Whoopee!! Anyone have comments on this
      one? I know at least ONE person on the list has read
      it :-) I actually planned on reading "Shame" next,
      but I'm still interested in insights on TGBHF. <br>p
    • snow_beltreallydeep
      Message 128 of 128 , Jan 9, 2002
        I will keep my eyes open for your suggested
        title. With the controversy over The Satanic Verses we
        heard that Christianity hasn't been maligned in novels,
        and if it were, Christians would be very vocal in
        by Timothey Findlay is quite the version of Noah's
        Ark, and although I'm not a Christian, I kept glancing
        over my shoulder, on the look out for lightening bolts
        all the time I was reading it. (It is a brilliant
        book.)<br><br>I'm reading a John Updike novel now, "Toward the End
        of Time", seemingly written around the same time as
        The Satanic Verses, although the copyright date is
        1997. Updike's main character also moves through time,
        and becomes a main character in Biblical stories.
        Updike's work has a theological approach as well, and he
        finished it yet, but I wonder if anyone else in this
        discussion group has read it, and seen a similarity.
        works?