Re: hi ~everyone

  • liquidmice
    Message 1 of 128 , Nov 19, 2000
      Well, the book is certainly not all about
      Christianity either!! Here is a quick (and poor) description
      of the book: The book is a work of fiction about two
      characters who survive the terrorist bombing of an airplane.
      Both characters are transformed, one into what is
      usually seen as "good" and "angelic" and the other into
      what is usually seen as "bad" or "demonic." Both
      characters are on a sort of spiritual/personal mission to
      become WHOLE. A major theme of the book involves what is
      seen as good/evil, sacred/profane, holy/demonic etc.
      The plots and sub-plots work on several levels and it
      is a rather deep and complex read. You will
      undoubtibly need to do some research into the book to fully
      understand it and it's message. It is a brilliant work of
    • snow_beltreallydeep
      Message 128 of 128 , Jan 9, 2002
        I will keep my eyes open for your suggested
        title. With the controversy over The Satanic Verses we
        heard that Christianity hasn't been maligned in novels,
        and if it were, Christians would be very vocal in
        by Timothey Findlay is quite the version of Noah's
        Ark, and although I'm not a Christian, I kept glancing
        over my shoulder, on the look out for lightening bolts
        all the time I was reading it. (It is a brilliant
        book.)<br><br>I'm reading a John Updike novel now, "Toward the End
        of Time", seemingly written around the same time as
        The Satanic Verses, although the copyright date is
        1997. Updike's main character also moves through time,
        and becomes a main character in Biblical stories.
        Updike's work has a theological approach as well, and he
        finished it yet, but I wonder if anyone else in this
        discussion group has read it, and seen a similarity.
        works?