Re: Satanic Verses

  • liquidmice
    Message 1 of 128 , Nov 19, 2000
      IN_DKNY:<br><br> You said "I feel bad that the
      text of the novel seemed to drop right out of the
      worldwide discourse towards the nineties"<br><br> Indeed!!!
      I would argue that Rushdie's opponents NEVER really
      engaged in meaningful discourse in the Eighties or
      Nineties. And 'fuel to the fire' it was! Fire is what the
      militant Islamic opposition wanted then, and many still
      want to this day. If Rushdie's opponents had truly
      READ the novel and sought out Rushdie's message and
      the themes of the novel, some level of UNDERSTANDING
      would certainly have resulted. But you see,
      Understanding is a philosophical and spiritual goal, and the
      militantly religious have no interest in true spirituality
      or spiritual/philosophical goals. I would argue that
      MOST "religious" people (at least in the organized
      religions of the West) lack such interest as well. <br><br>
      Yes, It is hard for us in the USA to feel the true
      heat of the controversy, for we are so far removed
      (culturally and geographically.) But the essence of the
      controversy can still be observed right here in the USA. Try
      this exercise: simply ask a devout Christian what they
      think of the novel, what they�ve been taught, what
      their interpretation is, etc. Now, you probably won�t
      observe the level of disdain or opposition or concern
      that you may (and I emphasize the word �may�) from
      many Muslims, but I bet you get some strong words and
      grave misconceptions about the book. <br><br>When my
      girlfriend was a young teen, she had a Priest from her
      church teaching kids that the book "The Satanic Verses"
      was a sort of bible written for Satan worshipers!!!
      Ah, how nice it is to know that unbridled ignorance
      is alive an well in our own culture! Just last night
      I asked a friend what he had heard about the book,
      and he told me that everything he had heard was
      consistently NEGATIVE. Hmmm, interesting. <br><br> Anyway, I
      sure do wish we had some more input on this subject.
      Perhaps as time goes on and our numbers increase, more
      discussion shall arise. Ah, but the discourse is meaningful
    • snow_beltreallydeep
      Message 128 of 128 , Jan 9, 2002
        I will keep my eyes open for your suggested
        title. With the controversy over The Satanic Verses we
        heard that Christianity hasn't been maligned in novels,
        and if it were, Christians would be very vocal in
        by Timothey Findlay is quite the version of Noah's
        Ark, and although I'm not a Christian, I kept glancing
        over my shoulder, on the look out for lightening bolts
        all the time I was reading it. (It is a brilliant
        book.)<br><br>I'm reading a John Updike novel now, "Toward the End
        of Time", seemingly written around the same time as
        The Satanic Verses, although the copyright date is
        1997. Updike's main character also moves through time,
        and becomes a main character in Biblical stories.
        Updike's work has a theological approach as well, and he
        finished it yet, but I wonder if anyone else in this
        discussion group has read it, and seen a similarity.
        works?