Re: Reading Suggestion...

  • IN_DKNY
    Message 1 of 128 , Nov 16, 2000
      Just finished reading "God of Small Things." I
      really enjoyed the novel. I wonder if it had the quality
      to win the Booker, but really liked it just the
      same. Curious Marxism critque, EH?<br>I loved her use
      of teh colors red and green. They seemed to coincide
      with violence and lust/sex/danger. I found the
      character of Rahel adn Estha to be very interesting. Any
      feeling on their act of communiuon towards the end of the
      novel?<br><br>Anyone heard teh new U2 album with the song co-written
      by Salman (the man) Rushdie? If not, you should. It
      is great.<br><br>Anyway, hope to hear back from teh
      gropu.<br><br>IN_DKNY
    • snow_beltreallydeep
      Message 128 of 128 , Jan 9, 2002
        I will keep my eyes open for your suggested
        title. With the controversy over The Satanic Verses we
        heard that Christianity hasn't been maligned in novels,
        and if it were, Christians would be very vocal in
        by Timothey Findlay is quite the version of Noah's
        Ark, and although I'm not a Christian, I kept glancing
        over my shoulder, on the look out for lightening bolts
        all the time I was reading it. (It is a brilliant
        book.)<br><br>I'm reading a John Updike novel now, "Toward the End
        of Time", seemingly written around the same time as
        The Satanic Verses, although the copyright date is
        1997. Updike's main character also moves through time,
        and becomes a main character in Biblical stories.
        Updike's work has a theological approach as well, and he
        finished it yet, but I wonder if anyone else in this
        discussion group has read it, and seen a similarity.
        works?