Re: Satanic Verses

  • liquidmice
    Message 1 of 128 , Nov 9, 2000
      Ah well, it's been a few weeks and no one has
      responded to your inquiry so I'm going ramble on for a
      while and put in my 2 cents, even though I�m just a
      lowly Amorican. <br><br>To understand the controversy
      is simple, really. And I would argue that you are
      not too far removed from the "Core" of what is being
      debated at all. Remember the movie "The Last Temptation
      Of Christ"??? That American film was banned in
      several areas in the U.S., was it not? "The Last
      Temptation Of Christ" had images and plot alluding to the
      idea of Jesus Christ having sexual fantasies. Now,
      IN_DKNY, you're from Utah, you know what kind of trouble
      blasphemy can get you in, right? <br><br>Imagine a major
      novelist or film maker from the USA writing a book/movie
      about an 'experimental phase' that Jesus Christ went
      through in which he practiced blatant homosexuality for a
      couple years. Can you imagine the death threats this guy
      would get? And imagine if the New Testament had a
      passage which said that any person found to be
      blaspheming the name of Jesus Christ should be murdered
      without remorse, and that anyone who died attempting to
      kill the blasphemer would immediately gain access to
      heaven. And imagine if the President (do we have one
      yet?) endorsed such a killing? Now our imaginary writer
      is in some serious trouble, sharing a danger similar
      to that of Mr. Salman Rushdie. <br><br>Rushdie�s
      message? Forget it man, the Religious militants aren�t
      even interested. The focus is now on killing the
      blasphemer!!! <br><br>Ok, let�s be honest, Mr. Rushdie does
      seem to have a talent for upsetting people. I�ll tell
      you what, he pissed me off with his idea of Americans
      in Midnight�s Children! Which character represents
      America? That power hungry, Cowboy hat wearing,
      freckle-faced, BB-Gun toting, cat shooting little freak with
      braces on her traditionally bad American teeth
      (Americans have bad teeth??? Oh Mr. Rushdie, what about the
      British?!?!?! How DARE you!!!) Ok, I was giggling a little bit
    • snow_beltreallydeep
      Message 128 of 128 , Jan 9, 2002
        I will keep my eyes open for your suggested
        title. With the controversy over The Satanic Verses we
        heard that Christianity hasn't been maligned in novels,
        and if it were, Christians would be very vocal in
        by Timothey Findlay is quite the version of Noah's
        Ark, and although I'm not a Christian, I kept glancing
        over my shoulder, on the look out for lightening bolts
        all the time I was reading it. (It is a brilliant
        book.)<br><br>I'm reading a John Updike novel now, "Toward the End
        of Time", seemingly written around the same time as
        The Satanic Verses, although the copyright date is
        1997. Updike's main character also moves through time,
        and becomes a main character in Biblical stories.
        Updike's work has a theological approach as well, and he
        finished it yet, but I wonder if anyone else in this
        discussion group has read it, and seen a similarity.
        works?