Satanic Verses

  • IN_DKNY
    Message 1 of 128 , Oct 26, 2000
      My class is just beginning to read Satanic
      Verses. I am very curious how people closer to the
      contraversy view it. I am from Utah, born in America and find
      myself far removed from the core of what is being
      debated. I would love any insight from those of you who
      maybe Muslim or from India. It would be very
      useful.<br><br>My teacher is from Bengal, now Bengladesh, I
      believe. She told my class that we should be careful
      carrying the book around in public. She has had several
      students receive death threats from people who have seen
      students carrying the book. It somewhat astonishes me and
      scares me in the same breath.<br><br>So please, any
      insight from anyone would be very useful. As you know I
      am receiving responses on my personal emial, so
      write me if you can.<br><br>IN_DKNY
    • snow_beltreallydeep
      Message 128 of 128 , Jan 9, 2002
        I will keep my eyes open for your suggested
        title. With the controversy over The Satanic Verses we
        heard that Christianity hasn't been maligned in novels,
        and if it were, Christians would be very vocal in
        by Timothey Findlay is quite the version of Noah's
        Ark, and although I'm not a Christian, I kept glancing
        over my shoulder, on the look out for lightening bolts
        all the time I was reading it. (It is a brilliant
        book.)<br><br>I'm reading a John Updike novel now, "Toward the End
        of Time", seemingly written around the same time as
        The Satanic Verses, although the copyright date is
        1997. Updike's main character also moves through time,
        and becomes a main character in Biblical stories.
        Updike's work has a theological approach as well, and he
        finished it yet, but I wonder if anyone else in this
        discussion group has read it, and seen a similarity.
        works?