Re: Free Speech, group censorship, and the FCC

  • drmasyed
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2004
      Lets not mix censorship and blocking the 'ads' which crop on these
      groups from time to time. I think it is best to block this unwanted
      spam because it is irrelevant and has nothing to do with this group.
      I know I dont have the time to go through so many emails everyday
      (even though the possibility that a hot teen really is interested in
      me is very tempting). The 'people' posting these messages are
      actually just software and so they dont really have any right to
      freedom of speech (atleast not yet :)).

      I dont believe in censorship. However, I do believe in rating the
      contents of TV shows or books etc so that the peruser can know
      before hand if there is something that they might find offensive. I
      also believe that parents should have the right (to a certain
      extent) to not want their children to be exposed to certain ideas or
      images and we should all respect that. However, each individual
      adult should be free to do whatever he or she wants to as long as
      they do not violate the rights of others.

      I cannot comment on Howard Stern because I do not know him. However
      I think we made too big a deal of the Janet Jackson episode. By
      playing it over and over again the media hyped it so much that it
      became very political.

      Nudity in itself is not necessarily obscene. And to be obscene one
      doesnt have to be nude either.

      Ali Syed

      --- In salmanrushdie@yahoogroups.com, liquidmice <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:

      > The Rushdie group has been quiet... imagine that! But the recent
      (brief) discussion
      > concerning censorship inspired me to fire off a little something.
      Perhaps it will further the
      > censorship discussion? Perhaps we will have a few posts this
      month?

      > A new list member recently called Rushdie "one of the staunchest
      supporters of free
      > speech" and further suggested that because our group is moderated
      for spam, that it is in
      > essence "censored" and therefore not true to Rushdie's cause and
      not a pure free speech
      > forum. Does anyone agree with this view? How about other "grey
      area" censorship
      > questions? For example, what do you think Rushdie would say about
      the FCC? After the
      > somewhat recent Janet Jackson booby sighting here in the USA, it
      would seem that the FCC
      > has been even more ridiculous in their ridiculous crusade against
      profanity. Is it so
      > ridiculous? One of the most prominent critics (and recipients of
      FCC fines) is Howard