Rushdie's 'Midnight's Children' Launched on Stage

  • liquidmice
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2003
      Rushdie's 'Midnight's Children' Launched on Stage

      By Paul Majendie

      LONDON (Reuters) - Novelist Salman Rushdie's masterpiece "Midnight's
      Children" is given its world stage premiere Wednesday by the Royal
      Shakespeare Company -- and now the author would love to turn his hand
      to playwriting.

      "It has been an absolute pleasure -- the greatest experience of my
      creative life," Rushdie said after turning his teeming epic into a
      three-hour play at London's Barbican Theater.

      "This has given me the itch to write more plays," said the author,
      who gained instant notoriety in 1989 when Iran's Muslim rulers
      sentenced him to death for his book "The Satanic Verses" which they
      said had blasphemed the Prophet Muhammad.

      Rushdie, who spent almost a decade in hiding before the Iranian
      government distanced itself from the decree, reveled in the challenge
      of bringing Midnight's Children -- his sweeping tale of India's
      birth -- to life on stage.

      "It is a highly ambitious production," he told an audience at the
      Barbican. "The book has been given a second birth," he said of the
      novel which won Britain's prestigious Booker Prize in 1981.

      Rushdie originally wrote a five-hour screenplay for a BBC Television
      adaptation of the 20th century classic. But first India and then Sri
      Lanka, fearful of a backlash after the Iranian decree, withdrew
      permission for filming.

      The ambitious project lay dormant until the author, who now lives in
      New York, was approached by Britain's Royal Shakespeare Company. With
      director Tim Supple and dramatist Simon Reade, he shaped and refined
      the script into a stage adaptation.

      Rushdie, used to the lonely life of a novelist crafting away in
      solitude, loved the collaboration, boiling down the saga into a play
      for a 20-strong cast of largely British-Asian actors.

      "It is a mystery why I have not written plays before," he said of the
      tale which chronicles the rumbustious life of Saleem Sinai, born like
      the other "Midnight's Children" at the precise moment of India's
      independence on August 15, 1947.

      The play begins with a five-week run in London and then crosses the
      Atlantic for performances in Ann Arbor, Michigan and in New York at
      the Apollo Theater in Harlem.

      Rushdie, who had to spend so many years in the shadows but now
      clearly revels in the theater spotlight, said: "All I can say is that
      my natural instincts were more solitary than collaborative.

      "In the end I just preferred the idea of sitting alone in a room. But
      now that I have done that for 25 years I'm quite enjoying this."

      (Additional reporting by Opheera McDoom)
    • rachel
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2003
        hi,

        > Rushdie's 'Midnight's Children' Launched on Stage
        <snip>
        > The play begins with a five-week run in London and
        > then crosses the
        > Atlantic for performances in Ann Arbor, Michigan and
        > in New York at
        > the Apollo Theater in Harlem.

        dates for ann arbor, mi in mid-mar and leeds, gbr in may
        at http://www.tickets.com/browse.cgi?pgid=2003214
        r.

        =====
        r�sta r�dha f� freista bidhja bl�ta senda s�a
        carve read colour test ask offer send sacrifice