Re: meaningful discourse

  • IN_DKNY
    Message 1 of 128 , Sep 27, 2000
      drmasyed,<br><br>I wouldn't discuss the book
      privately unless someone wanted to specifically talk to me.
      Sorry to make it seem that way. In class, right now, we
      are mostly talking about other South Asian Writiers
      in English and not Rushdie exclusively. We did have
      a long conversation on Midnight's Children and
      Saleem ( as well as his not so legitimate grandfather's)
      nose. The length, the representation. I would love to
      hear what others think, if it has been read.<br>Let us
      all share in that question.<br><br>IN_DKNY
    • snow_beltreallydeep
      Message 128 of 128 , Jan 9, 2002
        I will keep my eyes open for your suggested
        title. With the controversy over The Satanic Verses we
        heard that Christianity hasn't been maligned in novels,
        and if it were, Christians would be very vocal in
        by Timothey Findlay is quite the version of Noah's
        Ark, and although I'm not a Christian, I kept glancing
        over my shoulder, on the look out for lightening bolts
        all the time I was reading it. (It is a brilliant
        book.)<br><br>I'm reading a John Updike novel now, "Toward the End
        of Time", seemingly written around the same time as
        The Satanic Verses, although the copyright date is
        1997. Updike's main character also moves through time,
        and becomes a main character in Biblical stories.
        Updike's work has a theological approach as well, and he
        finished it yet, but I wonder if anyone else in this
        discussion group has read it, and seen a similarity.
        works?