More GRIMUS related rants...

  • liquidmice
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2002
      I finally finished Farid Ud-Din Attar's `The Conference of the
      Birds.' This poem, as I explained in an earlier post, was the
      inspiration and basis for Rushdie's first novel, `GRIMUS'
      (a tradition Rushdie continued by utilizing another spiritual
      poem, Omar Al Khayyam's `Rubaiyat,' as a backdrop for his
      novel `SHAME.')

      I sat dumbstruck after completing the poem, not quite sure how I
      had overlooked this wonderful piece of literature in my spiritual
      studies of years past. Early in my reading I found portions of the
      poem tedious and redundant and I half expected to browse
      through it with some level of indifference. I rolled my eyes
      whenever I read stories of `infidels' or the mention of
      `inferior' religions, and set the book aside for days after
      reading exclamations about the `one true faith.' In the end
      though,I wondered if Attar had even written those passages, or if
      translation, editing, or political agenda may have played a role in
      the text's modification (as is often the case with scripture or
      ancient spiritual writings.) This rigid dogmatic aspect seemed
      totally unbecoming of a work of such high spiritual substance.
      Ultimately though, the plot, the conclusion, and the message of
      `The Conference of The Birds' supercedes any instance of
      religious rigidity and presents a wonderful tale of seeking the
      highest spiritual knowledge and wisdom.