149[Salman Rushdie ] Re: Satanic Verses

  • digisam74
    May 9, 2003
      Hey There

      Great group you guys got here.

      I just finished reading the Satanic Verses, and I am dazed and
      confused to say the least. The imagery and the magical world that
      Rushdie creates is a treat for the senses. Just reading the book is
      an end in itself. However, there are quite a few bits which allude
      one.

      Because I belong to the Subcontinent, and because I am a muslim
      myself, I didn't have any problems in understanding those aspects of
      the novel i.e. I didn't have a problem losing track, as many people
      do. However, it is still this 'good and evil' thing that I am not so
      clear about. From what I understand, Gibreel was supposed to be the
      evil part of the book and Saladin was the good. Could someone hear
      explain (with examples from the book) perhaps how this idea presents
      itself in the book. Whats this 'battle between good and evil' that
      everybody is on about.

      Thanks.

      --- In salmanrushdie@yahoogroups.com, gebrengus tewelde
      <gebrengus@y...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the explanation,Liquidmice. I visited the
      > web site you recommended and I see that many things
      > are explained there which I was not able to understand
      > before. I will read the book again and I will talk to
      > you later.
      >
      > --- liquidmice <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > > Firstly, welcome to the group gebrengus. Glad to
      > > have you here.
      > >
      > > Secondly, concerning your question <what is the
      > > point of the
      > > book?> Well, that's a really tough question. I
      > > think, ultimately,
      > > there were numerous 'points' Rushdie was making when
      > > he
      > > wrote the book. In the end though, The Satanic
      > > Verses was
      > > about a spiritual journey, literally and
      > > figuratively. On one level
      > > the book was about 2 men and their search for
      > > meaning, their
      > > places in the world, and their relationships:
      > > Spiritual in a very
      > > real, common, human sense. On another level, the
      > > story of the
      > > characters is told within a foundation of historical
      > >
      > > religious/political events (mostly Islamic.) Due to
      > > the existence
      > > of the `religious' foundation, the characters are
      > > confronted
      > > with 'religious' issues. One of Rushdie's points was
      > > QUESTION traditional/historical religious
      > > perspectives. What is
      > > holy? Sacred? Profane? Evil? How about images?
      > > Doctrine?
      > > Scripture? Are these things foolproof?
      > > Peopleproof? Godproof?
      > > Though accepted by true Spiritual seekers, such
      > > questioning is
      > > not wholly accepted in the `BIG 3' religions. You
      > > don't
      > > QUESTION the validity of what god/jesus/allah SAID,
      > > you simply
      > > accept it as the WORD of god. In his novel, Rushdie
      > > questioned,
      > > and people got really mad.
      > >
      > > The big controversy came from the title of the book,
      > > "The Satanic
      > > Verses" which originated from an obscure story about
      > >
      > > Mohammed being tricked by the devil while god was
      > > speaking
      > > the Koran. You see, in Islam the Koran is looked
      > > upon as
      > > sacred, holy, and most importantly PERFECT. Unlike
      > > the bible
      > > (Old or New Testaments) the Koran was written down
      > > exactly at
      > > the time god spoke the text. God spoke the Koran
      > > directly to
      > > Mohammed and watched as it was written down. Any
      > > mistakes
      > > or errors were proofread by the big editor, god
      > > himself. Unlike
      > > the bible, the Koran was written in one language and
      > > intended to
      > > be read in that particular language. It was never
      > > translated,
      > > edited by the wealthy, or otherwise tainted. Well,
> [...]
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic