3378sakura day 6 (pattern broken!)

  • chabo
    Jan 17, 2014
      hi sakurans!

      it looks like we picked the right day to break our pattern of good-bad-good-bad. by that, today should have been one of the bad days, and based on the results, it very nearly was. we had only 3 matches decided in regulation, and in those we went 2-1. Sarunojima and i won our matches, by a combined 3 points, and then Saruyama suffered his first loss of the basho, falling 12-11 to Chimatayama. and with an MCP of .717, it's safe to say that Saruyama didn't exactly have a bad day, rather his opponent(.859) had a very good day. so again, in regulation, we're 2-1.

      now we go to the bench. Daifuku? wins on the first bench. that's 1-0. Aminoumi? wins on the first bench. that's 2-0. how long can we hold this up? kamogawa also wins on the first bench. at this point, we're 3-0 on the bench, all on the first slot. then things change. sekihiryu wins on the second bench. (see what i did there?) that's not a close enough match for Rubensan, so he holds out until the first 2 point rikishi to get his win. and then on our last bench match of the day, andonishiki helps us finish in style, taking his match on the 2nd bench.

      so a little math says: 2-1 in regulation, 6-0(!!??!!) on the bench. that means we were 8-1 on the day. holycrap that's good. so now that i've dispensed with the drama, let's see about the basho-at-a-glance:

      day 1 - 6:3 - 6-3
      day 2 - 3:6 - 9-9
      day 3 - 6:3 - 15-12
      day 4 - 3:6 - 18-18
      day 5 - 6:3 - 24-21
      day 6 - 8-1(!) - 32-22

      so, you're thinking, we went 8-1. that's nice. but did we do all that well? or did our opponents do badly? (not that it really matters, a win is a win.) well, our team mcp totals were like so today:

      Rubensan           J5w     0.919
      chabonowaka        J13w    0.828
      andonishiki        J3e     0.788
      Saruyama           J4e     0.717
      Aminoumi           Ms19e   0.657
      Sarunojima         Ms22e   0.576
      sekihiryu          J14e    0.394
      kamogawa           Ms13w   0.354
      Daifuku            Ms20e   0.263

      so yeah, overall, we did pretty well today. at some point i'll check in with the full basho mcp, but not right now. this is long enough as it is. :)

      let's see, sekihiryu hit us with a big old quote today. went something like this:
      Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird
      for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish! Not like going
      down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycod. This shark,
      swallow ya whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', down you
      go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back the tourists,
      that'll put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not
      gonna be pleasant! I value my neck a lot more than three
      thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch
      him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds.
      If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it
      cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no
      volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's too many captains on
      this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you
      get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.
      chabo knows this one! first scary movie i saw as a child. i was afraid to go to the kitchen sink to get a drink for a long time after i saw it. (i was probably 7) i wasn't sure about the quote until 'this shark, swallow ya whole.'

      and then a sakuran of the day today? so many to pick from. we're all excellent people, and good days all around. he had such a great combination of having a good day, winning, and winning with style. his opponent, Ekigozan actually was unluckiest of the day. Rubensan was one better than Ekigozan in MCP, so that match was about as  close as it could have gotten. yay Rubensan!

      Bout 4 - Daifuku (ms20E) 9 [2-4] WIN! Basoyama (ms16W) 9 [1-5]
        Daifuku wins on the first bench rikishi.
      Bout 6 - Sarunojima (ms22E) 11 [5-1] WIN! Kitanoyama (ms15W) 9 [2-4]
      Bout 9 - Aminoumi (ms19E) 11 [3-3] WIN! Getayukata (ms10W) 11 [2-4]
        Aminoumi wins on the first bench rikishi.
      Bout 10 - Kyodaitimu (ms6E) 9 [2-4] WIN! kamogawa (ms13W) 9 [3-3]
        kamogawa wins on the first bench rikishi.
      Bout 17 - sekihiryu (J14E) 9 [3-3] WIN! Kasamatsuri (ms4W) 9 [2-4]
        sekihiryu wins on the second bench rikishi.
      Bout 18 - chishafuwaku (J13E) 11 [5-1] WIN! chabonowaka (J13W) 12 [3-3]
      Bout 26 - Ekigozan (J7E) 12 [1-5] WIN! Rubensan (J5W) 12 [3-3]
        Rubensan wins on the first two point rikishi.
      Bout 27 - Saruyama (J4E) 11 [5-1] loss Chimatayama (J4W) 12 [4-2]
      Bout 28 - andonishiki (J3E) 11 [5-1] WIN! Maguroyama (J5E) 11 [2-4]
        andonishiki wins on the second bench rikishi.

      and with that, i'm out! go sakura!!!!!!

      chabonowaka