Stiffening the fordeck without major construction

  • Sean Reid
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
      Happy winter to all,

      I am doing a overhaul on a 72 25' Helms and have found that i have
      significant deteriation in the fordeck. Has anyone had any luck with
      the injectable resin compounds that claim to allow you to recore
      without cutting up the fiberglass.
      http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/rotrepair/rotrepair.htm
      method 2 for example.

      I would really rather not strip the skin if i do not have to

      Thanks

      Sean
    • waynehelm25
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
        Sean:

        I think the method 2 would work if you could get the wood dry. Also,
        see if you have any through deck fittings in the area so you can
        take a look at the cross section of the deck. If you have none,
        maybe this is the time to install that solar ventalator in the deck.
        it will give you a nice 4" hole to inspect and see what you have.
        The reason I mention this is that my 1976 Helms 25 has the bulsa
        core sandwitch and then the inner liner shell which is sealed to the
        deck in some spots and not in others. Look at my pictures in the
        photo section. I think I have some shots of it. Anyway, its not as
        depicted in the deck section of the rot doctor. The inner liner is
        an extra layer. Looking at your cross section through removal of a
        fitting or addition of a through deck object will confirm this in
        your boat.

        --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Reid" <reids@...> wrote:

        > Happy winter to all,
        >
        > I am doing a overhaul on a 72 25' Helms and have found that i have
        > significant deteriation in the fordeck. Has anyone had any luck
        with
        > the injectable resin compounds that claim to allow you to recore
        > without cutting up the fiberglass.
        > http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/rotrepair/rotrepair.htm
        > method 2 for example.
        >
        > I would really rather not strip the skin if i do not have to
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Sean

      • waynehelm25
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
          Sean:

          Look at pictures 39 and 40 in my photos to see the section I spoke
          of earlier.