Rigging tension

  • waynehelm25
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16 2:01 PM
      As a soon to be owner of a Helms 25, I have a lot of areas I have to
      handle. One of them is rigging tension. I've read some instructions
      from different trailerable sailboat manufacturers and a rigging
      company, but didn't find anything on the Helms 25. What does everyone
      else do? I see our database has a members spreadsheet. Any other
      techical info on the board somewhere?

      Thanks,

      Wayne
    • aflanigan@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 16 3:08 PM
        There's no set of numbers specific to the Helms 25, it will depend on the type and diameter of the wire you have.

        When you buy a Loos tension gauge it will include general guidelines for tension in the shrouds and stays based on wire diameter (see also here:

        )

        That's what I follow for the most part.

        You can get Brion Toss' video too.

        Basically you're going to set the tension at some fraction of the breaking strength of the wire.  Racing boats tension them at 30-40% but most cruisers probably use no more than 10-12 %, maybe 15% on the stays for a masthead rig like the H25.  If you have a backstay tension adjuster, of course, you'll want to mark the minimum and maximum for this based on not exceeding about 15%.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16 6:10 PM
          Thanks Allen